Shelbys trying to eat dirt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I have a Spider plant in a little pot in the Table its in garden soil which forms hard clumps when dry. Shelby seems hell bent on eating this i move her away and place her next to her food but shelby just goes back, I put calcium and Vits on the food and there is cuttle fish in there too! I really can not workout why shelbys doing this.Any Ideas?

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
My Turbo does a similar thing, if he can find a lump of dirt, rather than just the soil in his table, he tries to eat it. Normally the 'lumps' just disintegrate when he does it so he can't eat it but it is wierd. If you can't move the plant out of reach I'd re-pot it in a different soil with more sand so it doesn't clump. If its a spider plant it will stand having most of the soil 'banged' off it when you uproot it. They are pretty bullet proof. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
I had the same problem, Hermy eats dirt, soil... He eats everything but the plant itself lol.
The lady at the garden center told me that spider plants could live in water and rocks. So my spider plants are in water and big rocks and they are beautiful, I have them since more than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.