Sexing of Star Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Can anyone help by posting pics of the tail shot of a male and female so that I can figure out if my torts are male or female.

Would appreciate your help as I believe that a picture speaks a thousand words, and I don't trust myself sexing them correctly without a picture.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So, let's turn this around...why don't YOU post pictures of your tortoise's tails and let our resident sexer expert help you determine what you have?

Yvonne

Malaefic

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
So, let's turn this around...why don't YOU post pictures of your tortoise's tails and let our resident sexer expert help you determine what you have?

Yvonne

I would have done that if I have my camera with me but it was loaned out to a friend who won't be returning till a month later. I can try taking with my phone but the photo quality is horrible!!

That is why I asked for photos so I don't have to wait for a month

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure we have that many Star keepers here on the forum who would have sexually mature tortoises to photograph. Most here have young ones. Maybe Tim and Robin??

Yvonne

Malaefic

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I'm not sure we have that many Star keepers here on the forum who would have sexually mature tortoises to photograph. Most here have young ones. Maybe Tim and Robin??

Yvonne

I'll try with my phone when I return home tonight.
Anyway, mine are still young. They are all about 1 year old. (although I think they are all boys, I was told one of them is female)

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Yes we have adult Indian stars. We can get pictures of each, but it is not likely to help. If yours are only a year old it is impossible to tell for certain. You will not be able to compare adult pictures with hatchlings. They are going to have to be bigger, say 4 inches or so before you can tell sex.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Tim/Robin said:
Yes we have adult Indian stars. We can get pictures of each, but it is not likely to help. If yours are only a year old it is impossible to tell for certain. You will not be able to compare adult pictures with hatchlings. They are going to have to be bigger, say 4 inches or so before you can tell sex.

I don't think I will have a problem by then to tell the difference :O

Oh well, I guess the girl might be a boy and the boys turn out to be girls. Haha. Will have to rename them by then I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.