sex of my torts

Mrs.Burlingame

Hi there I am new to having torts I have a baby red foot and a yearling sulcata *sp? any way I was told that my sulcata was a girl and my red foot was a boy... I didn't know if there was a way to tell or if they are too young.
Has anyone else noticed the sulcatas have more of personality. They are almost nicer. My red foot is nice but my sulcata is more loving in a way.
Thanks
Lisa

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sorry. Your pic didn't show up. Try again? I like to use tinypic.com for posting pics. Its really easy and no accounts. Just upload any size photo and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

Your tortoises are too small to sex, but we'd love to see pics anyway.

Mrs.Burlingame

I just heard something if the tail is short its a boy or girl and if its long its whatever the short one wasn't lol. I will have to get on this on my phone and see if I can upload a pic of them. So that being said there is no way to know what sex my torts are??? oh no I don't want them to fight if they are both boys :( hmmm

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wait! Let me understand this. You have ONE redfooted tortoise, and ONE sulcata tortoise? There really shouldn't be any worry of them fighting whether they're male/male, male/female or female/female because each species of tortoise should have its own habitat. You should never, ever mix species. Besides the fact that one might make the other sick or even dead, there's the concern that each of the two have distinctly different needs habitat-wise. The RF tortoise comes from South America where it's warm, humid and densely planted. The sulcata comes from Africa where it is wide open spaces, hot and arid.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
baby torts need to grow up a bit before they can be sexed! Yes, you should definitely separate them, because they carry different pathogens and could infect each other with sicknesses, and they require different care than each other.
Good luck!!