set up so far

morgandoeee

Location (City and/or State)
florida
attached are pictures of my setup so far.
I am currently saving money for an enclosed chamber
The chicken wire is covered with plexiglass except for the spot for the light.

-orchid bark from lowes
-Flood light 65w on a timer for 12 hours. ( I do think I need a higher wattage)
-Heat emitter 100w on at night for 12 hours
-her humid hide will be upgraded to a larger one tomorrow
I originally bought that log thinking it was a good hide but after research, it is now just a place for her to climb. She was lying on top of it yesterday under the bulb.
-Temp under the bulb is 90 and around the enclosure high to mid 80's.
Do I need a higher wattage?

I take her outside for sun every day (if it's not raining) for 20-45 minutes. I provide shade and some greens. She does seem to enjoy eating outside in the sun rather than inside her enclosure.
After outside time today, she hung out in her water dish for a few hours.. She hast done that before..

open to hearing ideas, critiques, advice <3

Sorry for the essay just a concerned tortoise mom.

Attachments

• bark.pdf
    20.5 MB · Views: 8
  • bulb.pdf
    18.5 MB · Views: 1
  • cage.pdf
    17.5 MB · Views: 4
  • heat.pdf
    16.3 MB · Views: 3
  • heat bulb.pdf
    17.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 6.41.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 6.41.00 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see a tortoise in any of the pics. What species are we talking about?

1. Get rid of the ramped water bowl. Those are death traps for tortoises. Use terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate for food and water.
2. The black plastic bakelite fixtures are not safe to use for our purposes. Especially not for a CHE because those run really hot. Replace that with a ceramic based fixture. $13 at home depot.
3. The CHE should be on a thermostat, not a timer. It is meant to maintain ambient temp above a set point 24/7.
4. 65 watts is a good starting point for most basking applications, but some people need more or less wattage. Best if you can lower the fixture a couple of inches to get the basking temp up to 95-100.

Your questions are welcome! Don't be sorry. We are all here to talk tortoises.

morgandoeee

florida
I don't see a tortoise in any of the pics. What species are we talking about?

1. Get rid of the ramped water bowl. Those are death traps for tortoises. Use terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate for food and water.
2. The black plastic bakelite fixtures are not safe to use for our purposes. Especially not for a CHE because those run really hot. Replace that with a ceramic based fixture. $13 at home depot.
3. The CHE should be on a thermostat, not a timer. It is meant to maintain ambient temp above a set point 24/7.
4. 65 watts is a good starting point for most basking applications, but some people need more or less wattage. Best if you can lower the fixture a couple of inches to get the basking temp up to 95-100.

Your questions are welcome! Don't be sorry. We are all here to talk tortoises.
My leopard tortoise can be seen in the last photo right before the terra cotta saucer.
I keep the CHE in the ceramic-based fixture (got it from the home depot after reading one of your comments a while back.) That's in one of the pictures.
I'll get another one to use for the basking bulb.
Do you suggest I lower it rather than get a higher wattage? The basking bulb is what also heats up her whole enclosure.

I always look forward to seeing your answers to my post. Thanks so much :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you suggest I lower it rather than get a higher wattage? The basking bulb is what also heats up her whole enclosure.

I always look forward to seeing your answers to my post. Thanks so much :)
HA! I think most people dread my answers because I'm going to tell them to spend more money!

The answer to your question is a matter of preference. If I can get the right temps and keep the whole enclosure warm enough, I prefer to use lower wattage bulbs to be more energy efficient. Also, lower wattage should mean less carapace desiccation.

Having said that, a larger wattage bulb might do a better job of warming a larger area and heating up the whole enclosure more thoroughly.

I'd let my thermometer be my guide.