Seeking advice (contact with breeder)

Hnaami

Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Hello everyone,

A little introduction as I'm new here. I live in Europe and I grew up with tortoises, my parents had two Russians, so I grew up with a deep love for these precious animals. Over the past couple of months, I have been doing a lot of research and in the past weeks I have gathered supplies to set up a habitat indoors and outdoors (for the summer). I am planning to obtain two cherry-heads. Male/female or female/female. With the possibility to separate them when they come of age. They are still very young.

At least... that is my hope.

Because I ran into some trouble with the breeder, namely when it comes to contact. They are located in Europe and seem to be a reputable breeder and have been in the field for at least three decades. But it's very hard to get into contact with them. I found them through google and sent my first email on the 21st of February. Asking if they have cherry-heads available and if shipping was a possibility. I got a reply near instant. I even thanked them for the quick response. They asked for my address to calculate shipping, to which I mailed back instantly.

However, after two days I still had not heard back, so I sent another email, asking if my mail had come through. They replied after a couple of hours, saying that they were still waiting for a "quote" (I believe from a courier?) But gave me an estimated shipping price. I thanked him and told him I'd wait for him to come back to me with the actual shipping price. I also asked for a picture of the cherry-heads he had for sale.

I let two days pass, allowing him some time to mail back with the actual shipping price as well as a picture. However, nine days went by before he got back to me with a single picture, no words, no shipping price. I was excited to hear back from him nonetheless.

I then mailed back, telling him I'd like to have a male and female and if he was able to tell the sex. I circled two of the tortoises that I was interested in, and a third one with a question mark on his back (because if both of them were male, I wanted to have a third option, so the one with the question mark would be sexed as well) (I want to avoid male/male). So essentially, I asked for 3 tortoises to be sexed (by eye/experience).

He told me that he would only be able to guess the sex at their size. But that he also has two full grown adults for sale, which was above my budget, so I told him I'd be more interested in the baby/juveniles that he has for sale (the ones in the picture). I sent the email, but sent another one straight after (The exact same email) Just adjustments made to the picture where I circled the tortoises that I wanted in red instead of blue, to make it more clear.

I haven't heard from them since. I let another nine days go by (knowing that it took them nine days as well last time to get back to me), before sending another email on the 10th day. Letting them know that I am still interested and included the same picture.

It's been eleven days now and I still haven't heard back. I even made a Facebook yesterday (I don't use Facebook) to follow the page of this breeder and sent them a message there as well. But it hasn't been read either. I know from looking at their page that there was a big reptile exhibition going on last weekend on the 9th. So I thought, maybe they got caught up in that. But it's almost a week later now.

I explained the situation to my partner and he said that I probably "scared him off" by coming across as difficult. As in his eyes the breeder seems to be a no-nonsense type that just wants to get right to business. But I don't feel that I have been difficult? I feel like I have been very patient and polite. So I'm not sure what I could have done different. I know for a fact that a some people on here know this breeder and have bought from them in the past. So I know they are a good one. I've only seen positive things. I just wonder why I have this experience and what I could do. I don't want to name the breeder, as I don't want to give them a bad reputation, but I would love some insight in this situation.

I've been feeling very down about the whole situation as I was really looking forward to this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, I think you should do more research only on this forum. With the old experience you had, you obviously haven't learned that they can not be sexed until around three years of age or older
Second, leaving two as a pair until needing to be separated, will affect the growth of one and stress both of them.
As for the breeder, I'd do more research on them too. It's not likely they sell many in their country, so having a buyer for a couple, they should be jumping on answering every email ASAP.
Post the name of the breeder, maybe someone here will know of them and can give a yay or nay

Hnaami

Europe
First, I think you should do more research only on this forum. With the old experience you had, you obviously haven't learned that they can not be sexed until around three years of age or older
Second, leaving two as a pair until needing to be separated, will affect the growth of one and stress both of them.
As for the breeder, I'd do more research on them too. It's not likely they sell many in their country, so having a buyer for a couple, they should be jumping on answering every email ASAP.
Post the name of the breeder, maybe someone here will know of them and can give a yay or nay
Thank you for your response.
I've read that redfoots/cherryheads are one of the few tortoises can cohabit due to their less aggressive nature. But I could be misinformed. I know that they cannot properly be sexed until a certain size, I mainly wanted to see what the breeder thought, with him having 30+ years experience. Either way, if it affects the animal in a bad way, I would be completely fine with owning one instead of two.

The breeder is Reptilia24 from Germany.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello everyone,

A little introduction as I'm new here. I live in Europe and I grew up with tortoises, my parents had two Russians, so I grew up with a deep love for these precious animals. Over the past couple of months, I have been doing a lot of research and in the past weeks I have gathered supplies to set up a habitat indoors and outdoors (for the summer). I am planning to obtain two cherry-heads. Male/female or female/female. With the possibility to separate them when they come of age. They are still very young.

At least... that is my hope.

Because I ran into some trouble with the breeder, namely when it comes to contact. They are located in Europe and seem to be a reputable breeder and have been in the field for at least three decades. But it's very hard to get into contact with them. I found them through google and sent my first email on the 21st of February. Asking if they have cherry-heads available and if shipping was a possibility. I got a reply near instant. I even thanked them for the quick response. They asked for my address to calculate shipping, to which I mailed back instantly.

However, after two days I still had not heard back, so I sent another email, asking if my mail had come through. They replied after a couple of hours, saying that they were still waiting for a "quote" (I believe from a courier?) But gave me an estimated shipping price. I thanked him and told him I'd wait for him to come back to me with the actual shipping price. I also asked for a picture of the cherry-heads he had for sale.

I let two days pass, allowing him some time to mail back with the actual shipping price as well as a picture. However, nine days went by before he got back to me with a single picture, no words, no shipping price. I was excited to hear back from him nonetheless.

I then mailed back, telling him I'd like to have a male and female and if he was able to tell the sex. I circled two of the tortoises that I was interested in, and a third one with a question mark on his back (because if both of them were male, I wanted to have a third option, so the one with the question mark would be sexed as well) (I want to avoid male/male). So essentially, I asked for 3 tortoises to be sexed (by eye/experience).

He told me that he would only be able to guess the sex at their size. But that he also has two full grown adults for sale, which was above my budget, so I told him I'd be more interested in the baby/juveniles that he has for sale (the ones in the picture). I sent the email, but sent another one straight after (The exact same email) Just adjustments made to the picture where I circled the tortoises that I wanted in red instead of blue, to make it more clear.

I haven't heard from them since. I let another nine days go by (knowing that it took them nine days as well last time to get back to me), before sending another email on the 10th day. Letting them know that I am still interested and included the same picture.

It's been eleven days now and I still haven't heard back. I even made a Facebook yesterday (I don't use Facebook) to follow the page of this breeder and sent them a message there as well. But it hasn't been read either. I know from looking at their page that there was a big reptile exhibition going on last weekend on the 9th. So I thought, maybe they got caught up in that. But it's almost a week later now.

I explained the situation to my partner and he said that I probably "scared him off" by coming across as difficult. As in his eyes the breeder seems to be a no-nonsense type that just wants to get right to business. But I don't feel that I have been difficult? I feel like I have been very patient and polite. So I'm not sure what I could have done different. I know for a fact that a some people on here know this breeder and have bought from them in the past. So I know they are a good one. I've only seen positive things. I just wonder why I have this experience and what I could do. I don't want to name the breeder, as I don't want to give them a bad reputation, but I would love some insight in this situation.

I've been feeling very down about the whole situation as I was really looking forward to this.
It would seem that the breeder is not all that anxious to sell you a tortoise. I personally would look for a different source.

If you are able to attend one of the Hamm Reptile Expos, you could see what you are getting in person before the purchase, plus buy exactly what you want, and from a motivated seller.

Hnaami

Europe
It would seem that the breeder is not all that anxious to sell you a tortoise. I personally would look for a different source.

If you are able to attend one of the Hamm Reptile Expos, you could see what you are getting in person before the purchase, plus buy exactly what you want, and from a motivated seller.
The Hamm reptile expo is exactly where the breeder was last weekend. I thought they may have been caught up in that. But that was last week. I'm just feeling bummed out...

The reason why I contacted this specific breeder, is because he is one of the few (perhaps the only one in Europe?) That sells cherry-heads.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you for your response.
I've read that redfoots/cherryheads are one of the few tortoises can cohabit due to their less aggressive nature. But I could be misinformed. I know that they cannot properly be sexed until a certain size, I mainly wanted to see what the breeder thought, with him having 30+ years experience. Either way, if it affects the animal in a bad way, I would be completely fine with owning one instead of two.

The breeder is Reptilia24 from Germany.
No matter how many years of experience a breeder may have, baby tortoises cannot be visually sexed reliably by anyone.

If you want to know the sex of a baby tortoise for certain, the baby would have to be endoscoped by a qualified vet ($$$). Here in the US, the most qualified vets will not even endoscope them until they are 10 months old and weigh a minimum of 110 grams.

zovick

10 Year Member!
The Hamm reptile expo is exactly where the breeder was last weekend. I thought they may have been caught up in that. But that was last week. I'm just feeling bummed out...

The reason why I contacted this specific breeder, is because he is one of the few (perhaps the only one in Europe?) That sells cherry-heads.
Maybe all the available cherry-heads were sold at the expo, hence the need to provide timely responses has diminished until more babies are produced.

Hnaami

Europe
Maybe all the available cherry-heads were sold at the expo, hence the need to provide timely responses has diminished until more babies are produced.
Possibly, although I would seem rather unprofessional, as I reached out to him at least two weeks before the expo. Besides, he filmed his collection at the expo as seen on Facebook, and I didn't see any cherry-heads or redfoots.

Hnaami

Europe
Possibly, although I would seem rather unprofessional, as I reached out to him at least two weeks before the expo. Besides, he filmed his collection at the expo as seen on Facebook, and I didn't see any cherry-heads or redfoots.
It* not I.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's a lot of work involved in vending at a reptile show. I'm sure the seller has been quite busy. . . first getting ready for the show, then at the show, and after the show, cleaning up and putting things away. I know you're anxious and excited, but give them some time and try to be patient. You haven't exchanged and money yet, have you?

Hnaami

Europe
There's a lot of work involved in vending at a reptile show. I'm sure the seller has been quite busy. . . first getting ready for the show, then at the show, and after the show, cleaning up and putting things away. I know you're anxious and excited, but give them some time and try to be patient. You haven't exchanged and money yet, have you?
Thank you, this made me feel a little more at ease. He probably is busy. I haven't paid for anything yet, no. I will give it some more time.