Scared myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
After spending so much reading posts on the forums, I guess I made myself nervous. One of my DT's was out in his enclosure later than usual last night. I thought it was odd he wasn't in his burrow for the evening. When I checked them this morning, he was still in the same spot. UH OH, what's going on with that? I thought ugh, hope he isn't getting sick. I waited another hour to see if the rising morning temps would get him moving, but no. So I picked him up, checked him out (all looked well). I gave him a warm soak, which he doesn't normally enjoy. This time he just sat there looked around and didn't move for about 20 minutes when finally he perked up and got out of his soak and started roaming the back yard. I let him roam for a couple of hours, thankfully in and out of the sun and he's acting much better, even eating. I think this is all just the beginning of brumation, but I don't remember ever seeing them stay outside of the burrow in the cool evenings (last nights low was in the mid 60's F). I raked out the burrow in case it was too dirty, but everything seemed clean. His burrow is just a reinforced dirt burrow. We're still having highs in the 90's and lows dropping to low 60's, I'm sure the tortoises will be slowing down alot in the next few weeks. Are your outdoor tortoises slowing down now too???

Meanwhile, I'm still digging rocks out of the new Enclosure (more rocks than dirt). Sure will be nice to be done with the major digging portion of this project (hopefully, this weekend).

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
TigsMom said:
After spending so much reading posts on the forums, I guess I made myself nervous. One of my DT's was out in his enclosure later than usual last night. I thought it was odd he wasn't in his burrow for the evening. When I checked them this morning, he was still in the same spot. UH OH, what's going on with that? I thought ugh, hope he isn't getting sick. I waited another hour to see if the rising morning temps would get him moving, but no. So I picked him up, checked him out (all looked well). I gave him a warm soak, which he doesn't normally enjoy. This time he just sat there looked around and didn't move for about 20 minutes when finally he perked up and got out of his soak and started roaming the back yard. I let him roam for a couple of hours, thankfully in and out of the sun and he's acting much better, even eating. I think this is all just the beginning of brumation, but I don't remember ever seeing them stay outside of the burrow in the cool evenings (last nights low was in the mid 60's F). I raked out the burrow in case it was too dirty, but everything seemed clean. His burrow is just a reinforced dirt burrow. We're still having highs in the 90's and lows dropping to low 60's, I'm sure the tortoises will be slowing down alot in the next few weeks. Are your outdoor tortoises slowing down now too???

Meanwhile, I'm still digging rocks out of the new Enclosure (more rocks than dirt). Sure will be nice to be done with the major digging portion of this project (hopefully, this weekend).

Yep, that wonderful time of year when they start slowing down, getting ready for their long winter's nap (although they won't hear Santa on the roof). He is getting ready to burmate/hibernate. Are they new to you? If they are new, you might want to consider about setting up an indoor enclosure for them and get their temps up to keep them from burmating (hope that is a word).

If you decide to let nature take it's course, then you should not provide supplemental food, it can cause problems within their intestinal track while they burmate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even my leopard, that does not brumate, isn't so willing to get out of his outdoor shed very early. When he does, he goes for a place outside to just sit and sleep. I think it's just knowing the cooler weather is coming, even for those that stay awake all year.
For yours though, it is not good to let them brumate if you have not had them for one full year.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Yep, its that time. Mine has slowed down dramatically. Stays in until early - mid afternoon, basks for a little while then back in his hide area. He has slowed down eating as well. I will pull his food once he goes 3-5 consecutive days of not eating and then he is telling me, I am off to sleep

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks, I've had these guys for over 14 years. I got them as rescues and didn't allow them to hibernate for about 4 years while their diet and health and well being improved. They've lived outside full time hibernated successfully for many years (about the past 10 years). I just don't ever recall them staying out of the burrow when the nights cool down. They've been preparing to brumate for several days now, leaving more food behind (especially the last couple of days). I've been soaking them every couple of days to help get them ready as well. But last night was just plain odd. They'll have plenty of hot days still ahead to completely digest their foods. Usually they don't hibernate until November here. Typically they stop eating completely several days before they take that long winter's nap. This year I'll be removing them from their burrows and storing them in hibernation bins so that I can get into their current enclosures and get them completely remodeled and planted. Plus building a completely new enclosure as well. I have learned to enjoy them hibernating. It give me time to try and grow things in their enclosures. Every year so far, the wild rabbits and the tortoises clear out the grasses and weeds in just a matter of weeks. This year I'm hoping to bunny and bird proof with fencing and top net roofing, plus over seed I just hope it works. If it does, I'll be sure to post exactly how I did it, with pics. LOL That is if I survive digging out all these dang rocks!!! I better survive or hubby may use the wonderful whole I've dug for me! hahaha

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Ever since the Harvest moon, and I do not know if there is a connection with that, on the 18th of Sept., I have noticed my lil guy slowing bit by bit. And ironically, just like you in Arizona (I am in Southern Cal) I also noticed mine was in the same spot as last night and initially had a panic attack. Mine also did not go in to his burrow last night. How odd. But late day. later than he used to do, he was actively grazing. May be a bit longer/slower to warm up. Not as active as just a few weeks ago. Weird how it all works together, the sun, the light, the temps, our tortoises. Nature, synchronized. : )

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
BeeBee Thank you soooo much! At least if I'm losing my mind, I have a friend. LOL That or we're the only two with crazy tortoises!! You could very well be right, the Harvest Moon might have signaled them.

Everyone; Thank you! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't seeing a possible health problem developing before hibernation time. Both of my DT's are in their burrows after sunning and slowly moving around all day. Whew! Glad to be over that worry. I think I need to stop reading the Health forum section for a while. Hahaha Slamming together an emergency indoor enclosure for them was not going to be fun at all and next to impossible to find indoor space to build indoor enclosures especially since I now have my 2 Box turtle hatchlings set up in my home office.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thank you again BeeBee! LOL Not sure what Normal is, but I'm pretty sure Normal is not fun. I don't even use "Normal" cycles on my appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.