Sand for substrate

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
I have an option to use this orangish sand for the substrate(even though it's not organic I believe there are no pesticides), it found almost everywhere and is used for growing plants...... Will it cause compactation for my tortoise, are there any quicker/easier alternatives? Advice and opinions?

Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
sand is not advised to use because if the tort swallows it it will cause the tortoise to become impacted

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
sand is not advised to use because if the tort swallows it it will cause the tortoise to become impacted
Ok, I know how to get reptile-friendly fertilizer-free dirt. Thanks for your advice :)

Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you need to, and your own yard is pesticide and fertilizer free, you can dig up some sod and dirt from that if it's hard to find anything else. Sand is not recommended as mentioned as it can cause impaction.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
If you need to, and your own yard is pesticide and fertilizer free, you can dig up some sod and dirt from that if it's hard to find anything else. Sand is not recommended as mentioned as it can cause impaction.
Our yard was fertilized a while back.... I might order substrate from the internet if everything goes wrong (I'll probably use dirt)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How far back? Six months or more and if watered or rained on a lot, the first couple top inches would be safe. Less then that, I would use it.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
How far back? Six months or more and if watered or rained on a lot, the first couple top inches would be safe. Less then that, I would use it.
The plants are watered more than once a day(it's really hot here), it's been at least 2 months (I'm not really sure)...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sand isn't really good... If you don't want to use dirt, then coco coir is great.