Salmonella -

ConnorG

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Hello,

I have read a few threads about Salmonella on this site and my general understanding is that it's okay as long as you practice proper hygiene. However, just checking if there is any further advice?

I am planning to buy a tortoise but live with someone who is immunocompromised - would this be an issue or is it okay? They would have limited time with the tortoise as it will be mine and I will be dealing with feedings/cleaning enclosures but don't want to put them at risk.

Thanks

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello,

I have read a few threads about Salmonella on this site and my general understanding is that it's okay as long as you practice proper hygiene. However, just checking if there is any further advice?

I am planning to buy a tortoise but live with someone who is immunocompromised - would this be an issue or is it okay? They would have limited time with the tortoise as it will be mine and I will be dealing with feedings/cleaning enclosures but don't want to put them at risk.

Thanks
Salmonella infection is possible from turtles and tortoises (as from well as from chickens and their eggs), but is very unlikely to occur if you practice simple hygiene measures. IE, wash your hands after handling the animal and BEFORE handling or preparing food.

That being said, I consider the risk to be quite low with tortoises. It is a greater possibility (though still not all that great) with aquatic turtles.

All the hoopla about Salmonella and turtles began about 70 years ago when a person could walk into many stores (Ben Franklin, Woolworth or S.S. Kresge and the like) , go to the pet department, and buy a baby Red-eared Slider for 39 to 59 cents. Add another dollar or two and you could buy the ubiquitous small plastic tub with a ramp and a plastic palm tree in which to keep it and some dried ant eggs (!!!) to feed it. Many parents bought these for their kids and took them home to be neglected and die a slow agonizing death or be flushed down the toilet. The water in these enclosures was usually very foul and smelly as few people changed the water frequently enough (daily). Often kids handled the turtles and then put their hands into their mouths or ate finger foods without washing their hands and some kids got Salmonella.

Lawmakers got wind of this happening and made it illegal to sell turtles under 4" in carapace length as pets, thinking this would cure the problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

Thanks
I believe most medical doctors would tell you not to do it because they have to cover their bottom lines. Liability and all, you know...

I agree with Zovick that the risk is minimal, but no one can tell you that the risk is zero.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
The risk is only high if you have a tendency to lick turtles and tortoises. You have a bigger chance of getting salmonella from the salads in the grocery stores. Look at all those recalled veggies.