Russian Tortoise Size and Weight

ambbeeee

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
My Russian tortoise will be one year old next month, and I can’t find any good growth charts. I’m nervous about his size and whether or not he is progressing or if I should be feeding him more, etc. His length is currently about 2.25” and width is 2.75” and he’s weighing in at 55 grams pre-soak. I’m not sure if this is normal or if he is underweight. He’s still a pretty small guy but seems to be growing steadily since I got him. I just wanted to check!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you seen the Jackson's Ratio? I think you can find it on Google.

ambbeeee

Michigan
Have you seen the Jackson's Ratio? I think you can find it on Google.
Yes I have done that in the past. Currently he is at a .21, which is an ideal weight for his size. I guess I’m just wondering if his size seems small for his age.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Russian tortoise will be one year old next month, and I can’t find any good growth charts. I’m nervous about his size and whether or not he is progressing or if I should be feeding him more, etc. His length is currently about 2.25” and width is 2.75” and he’s weighing in at 55 grams pre-soak. I’m not sure if this is normal or if he is underweight. He’s still a pretty small guy but seems to be growing steadily since I got him. I just wanted to check!
That is a little small on average, for whatever that is worth. They grow at different rates for a wide variety of reasons.

You should be feeding him as much as he wants of the right foods. Mostly broadleaf weeds. They are grazers and there is no need to restrict their food intake, and long as you are feeding a good variety of the right kinds of foods, the tortoise has adequate space for exercise in its large enclosure, and the temperatures are correct.