Russian Prolapse Help

MacyTheRussians

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello, my Russian tortoise is currently experiencing what I think is a large prolapse. I bathed her in some sugar water and once taking her out I put a light sugar paste on the prolapse. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get her into the vet until tomorrow afternoon, and I need help on how to keep it moist until then.1BE36FD0-2E07-4CEB-94FA-1B77AB646073.jpeg

MacyTheRussians

Michigan
My Russian Tortoise is having what I believe is a large prolapse, I found her like that around 9 am. Unfortunately I cannot get her into the vet until tomorrow afternoon. The vet recommended me to soak her and then use some sugar water paste to put on the prolapse to keep it moist. I was really hoping someone could help guid me to make sure it is kept moist until I can get her into the veterinarian. I also noticed before I soaked her in the water a few minutes ago there was a lot of liquid on the paper she was previously on, then after I bathed her it looked as if there was a little bit of blood in the water.

Attachments

• B1725988-6B6E-4287-B0F8-59BAF107D669.jpeg
    B1725988-6B6E-4287-B0F8-59BAF107D669.jpeg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 4

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Make some sort of little diaper with wet gauze and tape it around her. If that doesn't work leave her sitting in a bit of water that she can't get out of. . . a small plastic tub with a CHE positioned over one end to keep the water warm, or use your imagination to think of something that works for you. Whatever you use keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get into trouble.

You can also try to gently push it back in. Wash her off real good then take two fingers and with the pads of the fingertips gently push on the mass. You can lubricate your fingers with vaseline if you think that would work better.

MacyTheRussians

Michigan
Make some sort of little diaper with wet gauze and tape it around her. If that doesn't work leave her sitting in a bit of water that she can't get out of. . . a small plastic tub with a CHE positioned over one end to keep the water warm, or use your imagination to think of something that works for you. Whatever you use keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get into trouble.

You can also try to gently push it back in. Wash her off real good then take two fingers and with the pads of the fingertips gently push on the mass. You can lubricate your fingers with vaseline if you think that would work better.
Thank you very much for the advise, I will defiantly try that out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Russian Tortoise is having what I believe is a large prolapse, I found her like that around 9 am. Unfortunately I cannot get her into the vet until tomorrow afternoon. The vet recommended me to soak her and then use some sugar water paste to put on the prolapse to keep it moist. I was really hoping someone could help guid me to make sure it is kept moist until I can get her into the veterinarian. I also noticed before I soaked her in the water a few minutes ago there was a lot of liquid on the paper she was previously on, then after I bathed her it looked as if there was a little bit of blood in the water.
Your vet gave you good advice. I'd try to find an emergency vet to resolve the issue today.

Next I would examine WHY this happened. It is often husbandry related. Here are some common contributing factors to consider:
1. Small enclosures. What size enclosure?
2. Low temps. Did you add heat for winter?
3. Dehydration. Do you soak regularly?
4. Wrong foods. Low fiber, hay, or things that are too dry...
5. Impaction due to wrong substrate, like sand or moss.

MacyTheRussians

Michigan
Your vet gave you good advice. I'd try to find an emergency vet to resolve the issue today.

Next I would examine WHY this happened. It is often husbandry related. Here are some common contributing factors to consider:
1. Small enclosures. What size enclosure?
2. Low temps. Did you add heat for winter?
3. Dehydration. Do you soak regularly?
4. Wrong foods. Low fiber, hay, or things that are too dry...
5. Impaction due to wrong substrate, like sand or moss.
Unfortunately I can’t get her in today sadly.
Not long ago (only half of a week now) we had a power outage so I had her in a small box for the week. She wasn’t eating or drinking much, usually I don’t bathe her much due to the fact she will drink water in her bowl. I do have a problem with her nutrition, she doesn’t like anything but lettuce, so I give her a tortoise pellet on the lettuce.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Unfortunately I can’t get her in today sadly.
Not long ago (only half of a week now) we had a power outage so I had her in a small box for the week. She wasn’t eating or drinking much, usually I don’t bathe her much due to the fact she will drink water in her bowl. I do have a problem with her nutrition, she doesn’t like anything but lettuce, so I give her a tortoise pellet on the lettuce.
Once this is over and done with, come back for advice on how to encourage her to eat a more varied diet. Good luck

Reactions: Tom