Runny Nose Syndrome???

B.R

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello there tortoise lovers, I am posting this thread seeking a little help. My tortoises started blowing bubbles out of their nose. First it was only one tortoise which started like 2 days ago I noticed mucus in its nostril and today I noticed that the other one had mucus in its nostril as well. Both are very active and are still active they have a huge appetite. I take them out a few hours a day i brought it up from 2-3 to 4-5 and sometimes 7 on the weekends. There substrate is eco earth and cypress mulch i have a uv light as well as 3 ceramic heat bulbs two on one side and one on the other. they normally feed on the grass and dandelions and i give them a salad i make them with grass, dandelions, romaine lettuce, collard, bok choy, mustard greens, and a sprinkle of repticalcium with d3. Other than the runny nose I don't see any other signs of RNS. Any advice. I am going to take them to the vet but I can only take them until Saturday.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What are your temps? Basking, cool side, and night?
What’s your humidity?
Has anything that could be stressful for them happened recently? Enclosure change, etc?
Could we see a picture of their enclosure(s)?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This isn't RNS, its the start of a respiratory infection. It is usually caused by temps that are too cold for this tropical species, and it can usually be cured, without vet help or harsh medications, by raising temps.

If they are living as a pair, they should be separated ASAP. The chronic stress of pair living can hamper their immune systems.

Where in CA are you? How are they housed? What is your overnight low?

B.R

California
I have the temperature on a thermostat they turn off when the temp reaches 105 Fahrenheit and turn on when they go below that. On the other side it reaches about 78 max. The Humidity is controlled by a reptifogger which is also on a humidity gauge that turns on when it reaches under 60%. I cant think of anything stressful that could have happened there habitat has been the same ever since I got them. The only time that changes is when I cycle the substrate but there outside at the time. ill upload the pictures of the enclosure shortle.

B.R

California
I live in Palmdale CA. I am working on a new habitat for the other one but i am planting grass in it so it wasnt quiet ready.

B.R

California
habitat pictures

Attachments

• 20180402_180528.jpg
    20180402_180528.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20180402_180534.jpg
    20180402_180534.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 33

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If the cool side is 78 maximum, then it’s too cold. It needs to be above 80 day and night. What’s your night temp?
Make sure you get the cool side temperature up to 85 ASAP to combat the respiratory infection. You might need to get a small hospital enclosure for each of them to achieve this. I would use 40 gallon tubs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The stress will be the two living together. Separate them and get temps no lower then 85 and be sure that's at tort level.

B.R

California
so as long as i keep the temperature up they should start getting better. The tub is a 50 gallon tub and yes I will separate them. thanks for the advice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
habitat pictures
You are close to me. I'm in SCV and I do falconry in Palmdale 6 months a year, so I know your climate! :) That helps.

This looks like it has an open top. Its very difficult to maintain warm temps in an open topped enclosure. I'll bet this is your issue. Have you checked temps in the coolest corners farthest from the heat sources in the dead of night?

B.R

California
The tortoise tub is in the boiler room of my house so it the room is always warm. I am trying to convert it to a close top by cutting the side off and adding another tub next to it to make it bigger but im still sketching out how it will function. I looked into falconry about 2 years ago when i found a baby red tail hawk on the floor (was going to take it to a wildlife sancuary in the morning but it didnt make it through the night) but it looked like a long and expensive process.