2. Heat light
3. UVB bulb
4. Coconut substrate
5. He is kept indoors and is fed greens, tomatoes, broccoli ,

What else do I need to do.

tortugaturner

5 Year Member
Healthy?

Since I just got my RT. would some tell me about his health. We don't have reptile vets in area. There seems to be some little peaks on most sections of shell. I don't think he was getting Uvb? Please help. I have been soaking since humidity can't get up.

Attachments

• image-722615617.png
    image-722615617.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • image-3829754847.png
    image-3829754847.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • image-494592478.png
    image-494592478.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • image-2170501912.png
    image-2170501912.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Healthy?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks more like a Greek than a Russian.

Your tortoise doesn't require too much humidity. We've been talking a lot lately about the need for humidity, but it pertains to very young tortoises, a year or under. Your tortoise looks a lot older than one year. And I see no peaks (or pyramids).

Your tortoise should be eating more greens. You can buy escarole this week, then endive next week, then varying among turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, Spring Mix, etc. More greens than veggies.

tortugaturner

5 Year Member
I was first told it was a Sulcata which is a totally different care procedure. So I did some more asking and was told it was a Russian. I think it is about 2 but I don't see it drinking but it does get moist foods in his diet. You have any helpful tips for me that you do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Healthy?

emysemys said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks more like a Greek than a Russian.

Your tortoise doesn't require too much humidity. We've been talking a lot lately about the need for humidity, but it pertains to very young tortoises, a year or under. Your tortoise looks a lot older than one year. And I see no peaks (or pyramids).

Agreed. All of the above.

Hello and welcome to the forum. What sort of UV bulb did you get? The coil type cfl bulbs can damage their eyes.

His main diet should be broad leaf weeds. You can grow your own or collect them for free from safe chemical free sources. Tomatoes and broccoli are not toxic, but not good food items to use very often either. For grocery store greens look for endive, escarole, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, carrot tops, cilantro, water cress, bok choy, chard, etc... During spring and summer, grape vine leaves, mulberry tree leaves, hibiscus leaves and many others are a fine addition too. For help with weed ID, look to the diet section. There is a plant ID subforum there.

I don't know where in the country you are, but an outdoor enclosure is a must for fair weather.

Good luck and have fun!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new tortoise!

I agree with emysemys, you definitely have a little Greek tortoise on your hands. :) He/she looks a lot like my Greek - if you swing by the 'Greek' portion of this forum, someone like GBtortoises can probably even give you a more exact classification of what kind of Greek you have.

The care for a Greek tortoise is very similar to the care of a Russian. You don't have to worry about humidity as much with a fully grown tortoise - just make sure you soak it 1-2x per week, and have a water dish in the enclosure. :)

Your tortoise will do well with a variety of dark leafy greens. I would recommend discontinuing the broccoli and tomatoes - broccoli will bind calcium, as it is too high in oxalic acid. Tomato is too high in sugar. There are several good lists of edible plants, my favorites are http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm and http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/files/Booklet 2nd edition_March 2012.pdf

tortugaturner said:
My son just received a RT for Christmas. We have got:
1. Reptorium
2. Heat light
3. UVB bulb
4. Coconut substrate
5. He is kept indoors and is fed greens, tomatoes, broccoli ,

What else do I need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.