Rose of Sharon seeds i

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I have no idea. They were cuttings from my hubs mother. One white, one purple and one pink. I wish I had gotten seedlings, I would have been able to bring those with me.
Thanks for the offer, but I am getting some from Len.
My sister in law had one color at first. She mixed up seeds from it in her hands and threw them out. Now she has several colors. The one I have growing is a start from one of those. It's white with a purple stamen so far 😊 hummingbirds love them too.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
There's nothing wrong with throwing a bunch of seeds out and getting a bunch of colors and starters at all. Just keep a lawnmower handy or dig them up. The starts can take over. Maybe yours have been hybrids in the past. I had one but it didn't multiply like a real rose of Sharon. I'd be happy to send you some starts or seeds.😊
they can be obnoxious , here they are weeds , they grow everywhere ..... i have just pulled them out by the roots , stuck them between rocks in the ponds and they grow like nothing happened ...... they make pretty good plants for the pond as far as taking nutrients out of the water .....

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Can they survive harsh winters in the north or is this a more sunny and 70's kind of plant
I live near you and they can survive just fine. Especially the regular Rose of Sharon. I like them planted in a row like a hedge so they stay a bit skinny. Hummingbirds adore them. My Russian is picky and won't eat the flowers but they are still worth it.😊

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I live near you and they can survive just fine. Especially the regular Rose of Sharon. I like them planted in a row like a hedge so they stay a bit skinny. Hummingbirds adore them. My Russian is picky and won't eat the flowers but they are still worth it.😊
Could you send me a sample I could try and see if my little dude will eat it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They can eat the leaves too. Does he not like the leaves either?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Could you send me a sample I could try and see if my little dude will eat it?
Sorry I don't know how to preserve it for feeding later through the mail. However, soon I should be able to collect some seeds and I'd be glad to send some.😜. Or maybe starts eeeekkk 🥴

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry I don't know how to preserve it for feeding later through the mail. However, soon I should be able to collect some seeds and I'd be glad to send some.😜. Or maybe starts eeeekkk 🥴
I had gotten mulberry leaves years ago from a member that if I remember correctly, lives about 4 states to the west of me. She shipped regular first class. They showed up in perfect condition.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I will 😊
I tried them today. He didn't try the Rose of Sharon leaves but I haven't given up 🤗. The good Lord willing I'll have Sapphire and the bushes next year.🐢😊