Roommates turtles

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cornelius Or
Yesterday I was in my roommates room looking at her turtles and noticed one was swimming slightly lopsided. I told her about it and since she knows even less than I do about them she didn't think anything was wrong. I've done a little research on what could be causing it and is seems to either be a RI or gas. I'm leaning towards the latter because her 3 yr old woke up in the middle of the night and decided to feed them the entire container of food and about a week before that had done the same thing with the container of shrimp she had for them. From what I've read over eating like I'm sure they did can cause gas to build up and make them lopsided. I read that it will go away on its own but to keep an eye on it. Has anyone else dealt with bloated gassy little turtle before? How long will it take for the gas to pass? Thank you

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I've never heard of them having too much gas. What kind of turtle is it? Do you have a thermometer for the tank? (Just to rule out it's not actually an RI)
They can also get bacterial lung infections by aspirating dirty water, etc.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I don't have any pics or info as they are my roommates and I don't have access to her room. I just happened to be in there and noticed it. I know that it was Internet information but I saw the issue of gas in more than one place and since he had been fed almost two full containers of food in a week it was the likely answer. I did pull out the turtle and check for bubbles coming from his nose and open mouth breathing which there was none. No puffyness of the eyes either. He's alert and active and had been eating.