RF Replica/book

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Gilchrist Co., Florida
The book is fine. Not overly technical & is worth reading.
I have an extra that my mother in-law gave me the other day.
The relatives always give me books on tortoises they hope I don't have! (one would think they would ask)
Shoot me a PM with your info. & its yours!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone gave me a real pretty metal box in the shape of a RES. The only problem was, it was SO realistic and life-like that every time I looked at it I wondered it they poured the liquid metal over a real RES to make the mold. It really creeped me out. I had to give it away.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
emysemys said:
Someone gave me a real pretty metal box in the shape of a RES. The only problem was, it was SO realistic and life-like that every time I looked at it I wondered it they poured the liquid metal over a real RES to make the mold. It really creeped me out. I had to give it away.
Yvonne, that is exactly what came to mind with this one. Somehow they got an exact mold, and my mind freezes up after that.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Yeah, I have several very life-like rubber snakes and a rubber monitor lizard, though something always looked a little strange about them (the spines were crooked, mostly). Then one day I was reading that, to make realistic rubber 'sculptures' of reptiles, they take dead ones, for them so they look 'natural', and then cover them with plastic (or whatever material) to make a mold.

I got that book for Christmas (along with 'the lizard man: the life and adventures of bert langerwerf', which is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Also got 'the Snake Charmer' about Joe Slowinskii, and that was also well done). I think it is very informative. As was said, it's not overly technical, but I've never felt that that was important to keeping the animals healthy. The animals tell you what they need, and too often we don't listen (myself included).

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Awww why does that replica have to cost so much! Great find! I found a ridiculous site once where you can order life sized Galapagos torts and 30' tall dinosaur statues and cavemen... and they all were really expensive... They should have moved and talked for the price.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You do realize how that was made???? It is a resin cast of a dead animal... very nicely done I might add. If it wasn't a CB animal I'd of bid on it.

llamas55 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Real-Life-Size-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2557a6641e

Ebay has this realistic resin rf tortoise 12 cm for $45. weird even has the plastron correct.

speaking of ebay, how good is this rf tort book by Amanda Ebenhack '09
http://cgi.ebay.com/Redfoot-Tortois...mQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item35a48fe75f?

thanks

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
....or a dying covered in resin LIVE animal. like I said, the mind freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.