"Rescue" Tortoises/Turtles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I take offense at this. While I have bought some turtles/tortoises, the majority of mine, the ones I consider resuces, are not "bought, collected, purchased, obtained, hoarded ..." Most of them are brought to me half dead and dying. I spend huge amounts of money and time nursing them back to health. I don't get reimbursed by anyone and don't get any tax breaks for being a charity. I receive nothing for it except the joy of helping save the life of a little animal. Then I spend considerable efforts trying to place them in a good home so they won't end up that way again. Using the phrase "any situation in captivity outside their own is unsuitable" is hardly applicable to any real rescue situation. I realize this is a debatable thread, but I a feel angry that there are so many trying to do the right thing by animals and we receive these kinds of comments.
[/quote]

I totally agree with you!! Absolutely!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
There are many who try to do right by the animals but any keepers perception of what is right is usually severely skewed.

I've said this time and again... those who I've met that actually do right by the animals... you never hear about.

terryo said:
I take offense at this. While I have bought some turtles/tortoises, the majority of mine, the ones I consider resuces, are not "bought, collected, purchased, obtained, hoarded ..." Most of them are brought to me half dead and dying. I spend huge amounts of money and time nursing them back to health. I don't get reimbursed by anyone and don't get any tax breaks for being a charity. I receive nothing for it except the joy of helping save the life of a little animal. Then I spend considerable efforts trying to place them in a good home so they won't end up that way again. Using the phrase "any situation in captivity outside their own is unsuitable" is hardly applicable to any real rescue situation. I realize this is a debatable thread, but I a feel angry that there are so many trying to do the right thing by animals and we receive these kinds of comments.

I totally agree with you!! Absolutely!
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.