Rescue or Hatchling?

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
I have found myself in quite a pickle.

I have a choice to make. There is a tortoise off CL that is in need of rescue. He is 10 inches long, friendly, great with kids. The problem is he has some pyramiding… When I say some I mean it's not good. He is living in a 75 gallon tank. OR I can get a hatchling from an awesome breeder. Which would you choose and why?

I will try and post pictures of him.

bigsulcata2.jpg

sulcatabig.jpg

What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Me, I would take the older one. Why, well first I like working with pyramided sulcatas. Second, I am not a fan of raising hatchlings. They are cute and all, but I just like older animals (same is true of cats and dogs). Third there is normally a feeling of doing good, when you take in a tortoise needing help.

What are they wanting for the adult?

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I would definitely take the older one. He's so handsome! Raising a hatchling is kinda tough and somewhat risky.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Jacqui said:
Me, I would take the older one. Why, well first I like working with pyramided sulcatas. Second, I am not a fan of raising hatchlings. They are cute and all, but I just like older animals (same is true of cats and dogs). Third there is normally a feeling of doing good, when you take in a tortoise needing help.

What are they wanting for the adult?

She is asking $200, the hatchling is obviously cheaper. I am a little weary because the last sulcata I got was so sick (off CL). Hatchling's are hard. I am with you on that, but don't sulcata hatchlings grow fast? ;) People assume they have YEARS and YEARS before they have to worry. I am prepared now. She has him in a 75 gallon tank. A LOT small… Besides I know I can't fix what's been done now with the pyramiding. But, do I raise humidity on a 5 year old tortoise? I don't know how to fix it now. I tried looking that info up and I can't find it anywhere. Tom you there? ;)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I would definitely take the rescue. He doesn't look all that horrible.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You don't fix it as much, as stop further development. The higher humidity is something that is used on the younger ones, not a big thing with the older ones. I personally think $200 is high for the animal. Yes, the hatchlings grow fast. Given the prices and such,
I would say, buy one from Tom (his are really great if he has any currently) with shipping it will be close to what your willing to pay for the big one.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Can they come down to a reasonable price, like say $100 to $150? Or is this tort coming with the aquarium? Heck, tell them you don't want the aquarium and build your own tortoise table.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
At $100 I would buy him, not a hatchling personally.

Vishnu2 said:
I have found myself in quite a pickle.

What kind, a dill? :D

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I spoke to her. Just now. She isn't going down on the price. She has others interested. :( Tom has none avail but the breeder with the hatchlings is awesome too. She says I have till Monday to decide. Or someone else is going to pick him up.. I have no clue what to do. So, I guess I have to ask.. Is $200 REALLLLY worth it?

Thanks guys for the input!

tffnytorts said:
I would definitely take the rescue. He doesn't look all that horrible.

Would you take him for $200?

gieseygirly said:
Can they come down to a reasonable price, like say $100 to $150? Or is this tort coming with the aquarium? Heck, tell them you don't want the aquarium and build your own tortoise table.

He comes with a 75 gallon tank, lights, bowls, and then him.

After shipping there is a the $42 difference in price.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
If he was close to me, I'd take him for $175. No tank, no bowls, nothing. $175. Its a good investment.

I would grab him for $200 and sell the other crud that you won't need. You shoyld be able to get $10 for the lights and tank.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Save a tortoise is always best . Plus your pretty much over the fragile stage . Think of the bright side that part of your yard you don't like to mow he'll do it for you .

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Currently he roams her house freely. I happen to believe he is a she. After some texted pictures. Am I supposed to let him roam freely? Lol wow.

Oh yeah he is 9 years old. Fyi

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If it is a female, then $200 is not a bad price. Of course if you never plan to breed, that is not a point one way or the other.

A) do YOU want to raise a tortoise up from a baby?

B) are you mentally prepared for the extra work of a hatchling?

C) are you ready to house a tortoise of this size right now?

D) do you want a tortoise right now or is waiting months an option?

As for the running loose in the house, personal choice here but to me, no, Just so many things can happen to a tortoise loose in the house, chemicals on the floors from cleaning, little bits of hair, pins, ect fall unseen by humans but tortoises find and eat, plus floors are so cold (lay naked on one for awhile and see).

At nine years he is in a 75 gal tank? He is small, very small for his age.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Jacqui said:
If it is a female, then $200 is not a bad price. Of course if you never plan to breed, that is not a point one way or the other.

A) do YOU want to raise a tortoise up from a baby?

B) are you mentally prepared for the extra work of a hatchling?

C) are you ready to house a tortoise of this size right now?

D) do you want a tortoise right now or is waiting months an option?

As for the running loose in the house, personal choice here but to me, no, Just so many things can happen to a tortoise loose in the house, chemicals on the floors from cleaning, little bits of hair, pins, ect fall unseen by humans but tortoises find and eat, plus floors are so cold (lay naked on one for awhile and see).

At nine years he is in a 75 gal tank? He is small, very small for his age.

He would sleep in his tank and if he started sneezing or showing signs of sickness she would keep in his "huge" tank. However, most days he was allowed to wonder around the house freely. He main staple is banana's now she said she accidentally got her addicted to sweets. Poor Tortoise.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wonder what the "tank" is? A sulcata addicted to bananas, you are so right poor thing.