Repti-Safe water conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachmn

5 Year Member
Is it recommended to use water conditioner or the de-ionized water from the grocery store for water dishes?
Also, isn't Repti-Safe the same thing as tap water conditioner for freshwater fish?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've never used any of that stuff. It just seems like adding MORE chemicals to the water to me. I use it for my fish as the chloramines can damage their sensitive gills, but not for any air breathing terrestrial animal. The tap here is safe to drink for me and my family, so I feel its safe for my animals as well. I think the slight amount of chlorine, probably helps keep their water container a little cleaner a little longer in their heated enclosures anyway, just like it does in our pipes.

On a side note, we had a vet at a pet store where I worked that used to use a very slight amount of bleach mixed with a lot of water as a treatment for newly acquired rodents who got the runs. He would administer it in an eye dropper. Worked like a charm and never hurt any of them. So I don't think the minute amount of chlorine in the tap is anything to worry about.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I wouldn't worry about it... if you want to remove the chlorine, just let the water set out- open- for 24 hours, all the chlorine dissipates

sachmn

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses everyone. It's kind of what I figured, but it never hurts to ask, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.