Repti Ramp bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY, USA
I was wondering if any of you have any experience with the Zoo Med Repti Ramp bowls? I was considering getting one for my redfoot, but wanted to know if it is worth the price? Amazon sells the XL for $19.65. My redfoot is about 5 inches long right now, so I am not sure if this is the best option, or if something else would be just as good for a water bowl she can soak in? I am housing her in a 40 breeder tank at the moment, so I need something that will work well but not take up too much space...

Thanks,
Jeremy

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have one of the XLs, and it actually is a pretty good dish. However, a glazed terra cotta flpwer pot saucer works just as well, and is MUCH cheaper. So is a paint roller tray, and has basically the same shape as a repti-ramp.

If it was me, I would go with the cheaper option ;)

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Upstate NY, USA
Thanks, I will check out Lowes and go with the cheaper option I think :) Amazon has some great prices on other stuff though, like the Zoo Med Forest Tortoise food, which mine loves. $3.00 for a 15 ounce container, which goes for $8-$10 at the local stores....

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have the XL I love it because it's easy for the torts to get in and out, especially my smaller ones, I also use the terracota bowls that are really good.

At work for my Redfoots I use a cat litter tray, we have cut I door out on one of the ends then fill it with plenty of water, it is sunk into the earth so that they have easy access and plenty of water.

LindaF

5 Year Member
My red foot flipped over one too many times in his repti ramp bowl so I stopped using it. He would always try to climb out the sides and not by the ramp and would get stuck on his back. It was scary. Now I use the terracotta bottom of a flower pot and it works out great.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I bought one for my russian, I think It's great. Our russian rarely goes in it but it's there if she want's it. I know a plant saucer would have been cheaper but I liked it and didn't mind spending the extra cash. I have a plant saucer for our little greek but when he's bigger I'll be giving him a ramp too.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have a few that I use mainly because I picked them up along the way when purchasing individual tortoises from people. I prefer to bury them at substrate level when using them. It's more natural for the tortoise to drink water from below than to have to climb up into it to drink. They're nice because they are heavy and stable. Plant pot bases work well too, but are easier tipped and spilled. Partially burying them in the substrate can help lessen that from happening. I like pyrex pie plates too because they're heavier.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I got a cheap plastic pot dish that was 50 cents for 3 and cut a small peice off for easy entry and exit. For some reason my Sulcata's don't like the fancy stuff, I have wasted a few bucks on nice things only to see them not used...

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I have a large and an extra large repti-ramp bowl, the large is JUST big enough for a small male russian, any bigger and you definitely need the XL. I like them for the most part but for now have switched over to terracotta saucers because they are easier to get in, and I think my russians use them more when they are easily accessible. My russians will dig under and flip just about anything i try to use for a water bowl so I've had to put the bowl or saucer in the corner and wedge it in with a rectangular piece of slate, it works nicely and they don't seem to tip it over at all.

Utsukushii

5 Year Member
Louisville, KY
I use the large size ramp bowl for my small RF. It sits in the corner of his tank and has all kinds of artificial plants covering the open side. He seems to be able to get in and out with no problems. He never tries to climb over the plants.

Before, I had a taller water dish and he rarely climbed all the way in. Now he soaks himself every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.