Repti Calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I was cleaning some boxes the other day and came across an old container of Repti Calicium powder with d3 is it still good? It is 2-3 years old, and was opened and used before I "lost" it (I say lost in quotes because had I actually looked I probably would have found it, it was not packed away or anything just in a box in my room) but was closed the whole time.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Having worked with pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals for 20 years, I can tell you this and let you decide:

The FDA requires an expiration date on anything ingested/injected (human or otherwise).
When something expires, unless it is volatile (i.e. milk), it will be safe well beyond the x-date, however, it is now considered "use at your own risk", and retailers cannot legally sell it, nor can the consumer file a law suit against the manufacturer or prescribing pharmacy.

I use donated, expired drugs daily on our shelter animals or strays. It's the only way our hospital can survive on our "freebee" services for said animals.

How I personally and professionally decide if I will use an expired product:

How was it stored? Dark, dry, cool? Not over exposed to sun or other light sources?
Refrigerated if needed?
Not discolored?
Not clumpy or original texture altered?
Injectibles should be original color, not cloudy, no "floaties".
And most important...do I feel comfortable using this product?

Hope that helps. I cannot tell you yes or no, but I can help you make your own decision. :)

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

mikeh

5 Year Member
Interesting fact, rep-cal with D3 has expedition or sell by date, while rep-cal without D3 does not.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.