Repti Bark

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
what do you think of using Bark as substrate?
I heard this kind of substrate get mold very easily.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I've used orchid bark (same thing) in the past with no problems. I don't like using bark or mulch alone, I prefer using them as part of a mix. I think soil (or coir) is the best base substrate.

jvaldes55

5 Year Member
South Florida
I use it and personally like it (haven't had any problems with it) But I also have torts that don't need much humidity so I don't spray down the bark, thus I can't tell you much about the molding. But if you keep it dry its all good.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
It depends on the species of tortoise you have as well as age. I don't use bark for mine because it doesn't give me the humidity levels I need. Also makes I difficult to burrow. Like I said though, depends on what you have.

M

Maggie Cummings

I started out using orchid bark for everything. Then I couldn't find it anymore so switched to cypress mulch and am now having trouble finding that. Substrate doesn't mold as long as you stir it up regularly. IMHO

HtVic

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I started out using orchid bark for everything. Then I couldn't find it anymore so switched to cypress mulch and am now having trouble finding that. Substrate doesn't mold as long as you stir it up regularly. IMHO

then how did you clean up the poop? did you use big piece bark or small?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Use the fine grade bark. It does not mold. I have kept it dripping wet for years. No mold.

HtVic

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Use the fine grade bark. It does not mold. I have kept it dripping wet for years. No mold.

what does it look like? can you link me there? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.