Relation Growth//Pyramiding//Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Hi everyone.

I am sorry to bring the pyramiding topic up again- I know it has been discussed here a lot. The experiences shared here were and are invaluable to me in the care of my 2 leopard babies(that I got 2 months ago-they are 8 months now) So happy to have them, they are beautiful and interesting animals. Its fun to research on and care for them.
The breeder kept them pretty dry I think and if it was not for this forum I would keep them the same. So thank you all so much.

Still I have a couple of questions. I hope they did not come up- I searched but didnt find ;)

My two babcockis are 2,5" and roughly 3" and have grown 1/4-1/2" since I got them. I think both show signs of pyramiding, one more one less. Maybe its due to the conditions at the breeder, but I do not want to blame anyone, because I am a newbie and therefore just entered the try and error phase.
So far from what I got, the growth up to 6-8" is decisive for them. But also their first months. My question now is whether pyramiding is more dependent on age or growth...logic makes me lean to the latter...
Do you think I can still grow them relatively smooth, for they are rly small still? I am mostly concerned for their health(do not want them to be inconvenienced when they adults because of pyramids).They will stay amazing even if not entirely smooth(as long as they are healthy).

Also, some vaguely related question: they do not like the plastic humidity box-do you think I can use coco coir pots(the ones you get at home depot)
to build their humidity hut? I don't want anything to mold...

Thanks for your help. If it already came up,pls tell/link/do not scold me :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

You must be used to other Forums. I think you will discover that we are a kinder, gentler forum and we wouldn't dream of scolding or berating you! I applaud you for trying to find your answers before asking the questions.

Pyramiding starts from hatch and through maybe the second year. So if you can catch the baby young enough and get started with keeping them in a more humid environment, you might be able to stop what has already started. But sometimes if the pyramiding has started, its pretty hard to stop it. All you can do is try your best. Keep the substrate moist, have a humid hide (your new idea sounds ok to me) and maybe partially cover the habitat to keep the moist air inside.

But bear in mind that pyramiding is usually only cosmetic. Your tortoises can live a long and healthy life with a few bumps on their shells. I have a couple of "pineapples" here from when I didn't know any better. Nothing wrong with it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) Ditto, what emysemys said. Some good reading and helpful way to stop the pyramiding is in Toms threads below in my post. Even the sulcata ones, the two are pretty much raised the same. I too got a baby leopard that was started too dry. Pyramiding started and then found this forum and Toms threads. It has worked for me. New growth is much smoother, still will be pyramided though. Hopefully, when he is full grown, the smooth will help they pyramided not look so bad. Good luck and don't forget, we love pics.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Hi, thanks for the replies. I am glad to hear that it is mainly cosmetic. Toms threads are very helpful, I read some before, but did not know the sulcata one and Beginners mistakes. After seeing some babies here I am a bit unsure. Could anyone tell me if Jeffs growth is threatening his health and whether the proportions are unnatural?

Thats Jeff. He/She has 3 inches and is pretty domed and not smooth.
jeff1.jpg
Jeff.jpg
Jeff2.jpg
\

That's Hal. Less shy than Bruce, 2,5 inch, but also showing signs of pyramiding.

Hal1.jpg
Hal3.jpg

They both pretty speedy :shy: . They get daily soaks and I spray their habitat 2-3 times a day. Their substrate is coco coir with cypress mulch, with moss under the CHE-they love to hide under there.The table is covered with wood, but not completely...maybe I try plexiglass with holes...

Last edited by a moderator:

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
ulkal said:
Hi, thanks for the replies. I am glad to hear that it is mainly cosmetic. Toms threads are very helpful, I read some before, but did not know the sulcata one and Beginners mistakes. After seeing some babies here I am a bit unsure. Could anyone tell me if Jeffs growth is threatening his health and whether the proportions are unnatural?

Thats Jeff. He/She has 3 inches and is pretty domed and not smooth.

\

That's Hal. Less shy than Bruce, 2,5 inch, but also showing signs of pyramiding.

They both pretty speedy :shy: . They get daily soaks and I spray their habitat 2-3 times a day. Their substrate is coco coir with cypress mulch, with moss under the CHE-they love to hide under there.The table is covered with wood, but not completely...maybe I try plexiglass with holes...

Your tortoises are fantastic. They do have a little pyramiding, but Im sure you will be able to get them back on track. I have two leopards that I had purchased from local breeders outside of TFO and they did have minor pyramiding and with the humid enclosure they are growing as smooth as can be now. I can sometimes hardly notice the pyramiding. I believe that you can change there growth track and it doesn't take much.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I agree with Wolfe there. They look good and as they grow bigger, the pyramidng will flatten out some, but never totally go away. Don't let that bother you though because it adds some character to them and they will still look fantastic. Keep up the good work.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Thx for the encouragement. I will do my best watching, learning and adjusting whenever necessary.
I can already feel a slight tortoise obsession developing..guess thats how it goes :)!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yep, that is how it goes! Atleast with me anyway. :)
Your pics are great! .......beautiful torts!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I like their colors/shell patterns. Are they from the same clutch, and do you know their weight? Most people here weigh in grams.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback.
@Tortus
Hal: 2,5'/90g
Jeff: 3,0'/130g
Is that okay? how often do you weigh them?

I had to change their enclosure today, because the tortoise table I built showed signs of
mould. Meh! I must have not attached the plastic right when I changed the substrate
last month.
Well, solution from Home Depot until I build a new one :tort:

IMG_20130125_130728.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I am in the same situation as you; as in, mine had started to pyramid before I got her. I like to make comparisson photos. So I take at least once a month focussing on her pyramiding, that way I can see if she's getting worse or better.

You can see the thread and other replies to pyramiding here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-62920.html

But Im thinking most people agree it will smooth out if you keep them in humid enclosures. Ive had mine 6 months and so far I cant tell the difference - so its not got worse!

I also worry for health reasons, I dont care what she looks like (much) ;) But no, yours should smoothen out with age!

- - -

Just a quick question... you say they are from the same clutch, were they raised in the same conditions? Would be interesting to know if genetics play a part in pyramiding...

ulkal

5 Year Member
It would be interesting with siblings that started the same.Their pyramiding is remarkably different. If I remember correctly, they spent their first couple of weeks in an
aquarium with dry substrate, then moved to the tortoise table with no substrate whatsoever but constant access to 3 water bowls. Their diet was exemplary with weeds, kale etc. That is all I can say about that.
I saw both of the parents. Mom was ca.25-years old with a pyramided but evenly domed shell(does that make sense?)
I know she lived with the breeder nearly all of her life. We talked about pyramiding and the owners were wondering,because they did everything that was recommended and truly had an amazing habitat for their tortoises. The dad was actually pretty smooth.
It would be cool to find out about genetic factors- but guess mine are not fit because of their different growth rate and probably different hatch time..tough to get right variables. Unfortunately, I am not experienced and only have two :)
I will start to take more pictures for comparison though.
Your tortoise looks great btw.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You are on the right track, I see a definite change. I can see where the new growth is coming in smoothe.. keep doing what you are doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.