Redfoot quick questions

bees420

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello experts and enthusiasts. I have a redfoot tortoise (Mikey) and were tricking out his enclosure. We’ve gone with somewhat of a bioactive situation for him, filled with enough dirt to satisfy his digging, threw some springtails and isopods in there, and let him do what he does. We’ve been feeding him his fruits and vegetables up to this point, but now we’re starting to want to take advantage of his larger space, and I would like to plant some plants so he can “forage” around on his own rather than rely strictly on the magic bowl. So I guess what I’m asking for is not as simple as “what plants are safe to eat” as much as “what plants are safe to eat in their entirety?” Flowers stems leaves and all. Are dandelions good to go? Any fruit options (if he’ll even allow the plant to survive long enough to produce)? What kinds of mushrooms are good to go raw straight from the ground? Stick with clover and grasses? This is really just an experiment really to see if the plants will even grow, but I want him to get some foraging in if it’s possible. Thanks in advance!

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello!
That's really interesting endeavour, I have never done something like that in the indoors enclosure...

Grasses probably will be stomped to death and redfoots aren't really keen on them. Maybe dandelions, chia, clover, mallow, "grocery store" greens will have a chance for survive.

Decorative edible plants, like air plants, pothos, prayer plant, spider plants, ZZ plant (zameoculcas? it's hard for me to spell right), boston fern, tradescantia (if planted outside "high traffic areas")- is another set of options. They are safe to graze and most of them provide nice shady hiding places + humidity boost. With these, I would go with the grown up plants, maybe pot-planted, for easier replacement, fertilizing and so.

As for mushrooms, I guess any human-edible will work. White mushrooms, I suspect, are easiest to grow.

Instead of fruit plants (which mostly grow on trees and bushes), you may try growing berries - strawberries, blueberries and such.

Can you post some photos of the enclosure? I'm very intrigued!