Redfoot plants for indoor enclosure

Katielynn

Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington NC
Depends on what size/age your tortoise is.
He’s a juvenile I was told. I’d say from tail to head around 5-6 inches. Maybe closer to 5. Would it be better to go bigger since that’s what he’ll need eventually? I was told it has to be at least 55 gallons and they recommend 75. Again this was the pet store people lol

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
He’s a juvenile I was told. I’d say from tail to head around 5-6 inches. Maybe closer to 5. Would it be better to go bigger since that’s what he’ll need eventually? I was told it has to be at least 55 gallons and they recommend 75. Again this was the pet store people lol
Like everyone on this forum would probably tell you... The bigger the better! I do not own a 75 gallon tank so I don't know how big that is. I would need the measurements of it.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
Like everyone on this forum would probably tell you... The bigger the better! I do not own a 75 gallon tank so I don't know how big that is. I would need the measurements of it.
Yertle got a new house today lol. Got plexiglass to cover the top on the side without the lights. So far humidity is holding much better!! Changed the bedding too! Thanks again everyone for the help!

Attachments

• 693F0823-82CA-45F1-971C-F8CA6192366B.jpeg
    693F0823-82CA-45F1-971C-F8CA6192366B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
That is a good enclosure for now. Although your tortoise does need a humid hide. Meaning you need a hide without two exits/entrances so only one door and that door should be smaller than that of your log. The door should be a little big bigger than your tortoise so he can get in but also so it holds humidity. You should mist inside the hide more than you mist the surroundings so he/she can always retreat to more a humid place.IMG_20220213_140220.jpgIt is kinds hard to explain so I posted a pic. Your hide should be like that or kinda like that in the pic. And another thing... The humidity/temperature gauges you are using aren't very accurate so you should use a digital one.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
That is a good enclosure for now. Although your tortoise does need a humid hide. Meaning you need a hide without two exits/entrances so only one door and that door should be smaller than that of your log. The door should be a little big bigger than your tortoise so he can get in but also so it holds humidity. You should mist inside the hide more than you mist the surroundings so he/she can always retreat to more a humid place.View attachment 341358It is kinds hard to explain so I posted a pic. Your hide should be like that or kinda like that in the pic. And another thing... The humidity/temperature gauges you are using aren't very accurate so you should use a digital one.
Thanks! I’ve read a plant pot would work too. Is that true? I have 2 digitalis just hadn’t put them in yet and I have one coming Monday with the probe on it.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
That is a good enclosure for now. Although your tortoise does need a humid hide. Meaning you need a hide without two exits/entrances so only one door and that door should be smaller than that of your log. The door should be a little big bigger than your tortoise so he can get in but also so it holds humidity. You should mist inside the hide more than you mist the surroundings so he/she can always retreat to more a humid place.View attachment 341358It is kinds hard to explain so I posted a pic. Your hide should be like that or kinda like that in the pic. And another thing... The humidity/temperature gauges you are using aren't very accurate so you should use a digital one.
How’s this?

Attachments

• 4B348097-86DF-42F9-9118-6DF507348891.jpeg
    4B348097-86DF-42F9-9118-6DF507348891.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
A plant pot will not work. And what you have in there won't work either. You need a more closed up door.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
And moss is not recommended. It is actually potentially dangerous if your tortoise eats it. Also you can put more plants in there to hold humidity. Pothos I hear are some good ones! And your tortoise can eat them.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
And moss is not recommended. It is actually potentially dangerous if your tortoise eats it. Also you can put more plants in there to hold humidity. Pothos I hear are some good ones! And your tortoise can eat them.
I’ll try to come up with something else. Thanks for the help!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I got an automatic mister but would worry about the ground getting too wet and shell rot? I can keep it at 80% but would that much moisture on the bedding cause shell rot?
I don't believe he would get shell rot... But to make sure ill call @Tom he is way more experienced than me and all the stuff I know is because of him!

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
I got an automatic mister but would worry about the ground getting too wet and shell rot? I can keep it at 80% but would that much moisture on the bedding cause shell rot?
These torts evolved for high humidity, though if you do notice some shell rot then I believe the medicine for that would be athlete's foot cream from the dollar store, @ZEROPILOT can confirm that. You also won't need to use a mister, just be sure that they have clean water in the saucer and if you notice the humidity dropping then pour some water into the corners of the enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
These torts evolved for high humidity, though if you do notice some shell rot then I believe the medicine for that would be athlete's foot cream from the dollar store, @ZEROPILOT can confirm that. You also won't need to use a mister, just be sure that they have clean water in the saucer and if you notice the humidity dropping then pour some water into the corners of the enclosure.
I don't need to confirm a thing.
You did a wonderful job

Tortdad4real

Hershey, PA
New Redfoot tortoise mom here!! I’m having trouble with humidity and just ordered an automatic mister with timer. I live in Wilmington NC and I am wanting to plant some plants in his enclosure but I’ve read not to buy any from Lowes/Homedepot where can I get safe plants for him? Also what bedding would I need to use? I currently use coconut fiber. Any help is appreciated! I’m so overwhelmed trying to get everything right!
What I use is a humidifier with the vacum tube and basking light with a 20 gallon aquarium. It’s covered with a towel and it produces between 85 to 90 in humidity. With a temperature around 80 degrees. I have it on a timer that switches over to a ceramic heater and the humidifier cool mist stays on. It raises my temp to 85 and my humidity up to 90. If it’s to much I’ll leave a small opening to balance out. Let me know if you want to see a pic.