Redfoot hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

becky4carl

5 Year Member
My redfoot eggs have just hatched, these are the first eggs what have been layied, as they are still in the shells in the incubator I am getting ready for them to come out and put into a enclosure for them. The question is do they have a heat mat or will a heat bulb be enought for them.

As well, the other question I was going to ask.........

How long will they stay in the egg shell once they have cracked the shell?
Many thanks

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
A nice even distribution of warmth is needed for hatchlings, stay away from "basking type lights" during this age . CHE , heat maps work well. VERY IMPORTANT...maintain a high humidity with multi soakings for your little one's during this time .

JD~:)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Once your little guy has pipped....usually within 24-48 hours they are out trying to walk around. You will notice a very large yoke sack still attached to your little guy. This is his nutrients for the first few days into the new world. Once out of the egg, wash him gently and put on sterile soft substrate ( so not to aggravate the yoke sack) and keep moist. Damp green moss works well and they feel secure because they can bury into it. The sack will remain for 3-5 days slowly disappearing, and then try some first foods. We have separate nurseries’ set up for this same type of scenario. Like mentioned keep warm and humid with low light factors at this point.
Happy Hatching !
JD~:)

becky4carl

5 Year Member
n2torts, you are a complete legand. Thank you for all your help, you answered every question I could ever ask,

Many thanks carl

Status
Not open for further replies.