Redfoot diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inthevalley

5 Year Member
I've been trying to do research but am getting coflicting information about diet for redfoots (hatchlings in particular)... What do some of your tortoises diets look like? Some sources say to feed them rehydrated cat food or a boiled egg...how often should they be getting that? And what kinds of supplements do you add to their food/how often?

Thanks!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Inthevalley said:
I've been trying to do research but am getting coflicting information about diet for redfoots (hatchlings in particular)... What do some of your tortoises diets look like? Some sources say to feed them rehydrated cat food or a boiled egg...how often should they be getting that? And what kinds of supplements do you add to their food/how often?

Thanks!

Honestly, the cat food and egg are mostly for protein and I'd rather use plant-type protein. Clovers and Mazuri pellets (moistened) is what I use for my baby reds. I've given them tuna twice before and they seemed to like it. They've also had worms once. Clovers are mixed in randomly maybe 1 or 2 times a week and I give them a Mazuri meatball about every 4 days (though some people give Mazuri daily). I supplement with TNT and sometimes mix a tiny pinch of multivitamin in with their meatball. Two cuttlebones are in their enclosure at all times which 3 out of 4 reds actually used. As with regular diet, variety is key. Hope this helps!

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Variety is key!
Redfoots need mostly greens, followed by fruits, veggies, then proteins.

I wouldn't feed cat food but instead Mazuri tortoise food for protein. They also enjoy mushrooms or boiled chicken. Protein should be given about once a week.

As far as what I give mine here's a list of some things: Spring Mix, dandelion greens, turnip greens, kale, clover, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, cooked carrots, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, mazuri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you seen what is written in the Tortoise Library ?

Most of what is written in there was written and researched by Mark (Madkins007), one of our moderators and a RF tortoise keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.