Red spot

Zavarus

Red spot on a skin close to ear. Maybe it has hurt itself. But now, I have spotted less visible one on the other side of head. Russian 5 inch tortoise. The tortoise is from PetSmart. Could it be a disease?
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This question is like putting a blindfold on us and tying our hands behind our backs then asking what type of fruit you're holding up.

We need to be able to see what you're talking about.

...oh, and by the way...Welcome to the Forum! We have many russian tortoise keepers here on the Forum. They are one of the more personable and interesting of the tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Red spot on a skin close to ear. Maybe it has hurt itself. But now, I have spotted less visible one on the other side of head. Russian 5 inch tortoise. The tortoise is from PetSmart. Could it be a disease?
Thanks.
It could be a mite or a speck of food,etc.
Yes. Photos please.
And welcome.:)

Zavarus

This is the one. The tort have been in the house for 2 weeks and the spot have not changed.

20151017_112856.jpg 20151017_112915.jpg 20151017_112956.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is not normal. I can't tell you what to do, however, what I would do is pick off the scab and express anything that's inside. Then dab on some antibiotic salve/ointment. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then take the tortoise to the vet. It needs to be looked after.

Zavarus

Thanks.
The tortoise looks healthy, has good appetite and is active. But the spot does not change.

Will try Neosporin ointment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neosporin won't help unless you open it and get rid of the puss that may be inside. Pick off the scab.