red-footed tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
hello im new to having a tortoise, i got her April 8th and her name is Ophelia. But im having alittle trouble with some things. I cant get my humidity up to where it needs to be and i've bought everything they told me. help please.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

Can you tell us how you have him/her set-up?

Danny

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yes as dan stated ... what type of enclosure? ... There are several ways to increase humidity ... but need a few *facts*
:)WELCOME TO YOUR NEW ADDICTION:)
Happy Tort~n
JD:)

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
:) thanks. well i bought a 40 gallon tank and it has a screen covering. and i was suggested to buy like mulch for the ground.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
apparently she is 6 months, or so they said at Petco. and thanks. but could i please have somebody answer my qeustions, kinda need to get it figured out. please

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If she came from Petco she is probably a Venezuelan import that was farm raised and probably has parasites. Get her established as she has bee shipped at least a couple of times recently which does cause some stress. Get a fecal sample from her and get it tested and treat for the appropriate "bugs." They usually do quite well. There are many people here that are more than willing to help you with any fine tuning that you need to do. There is no one right way though so don't worry about that. Congrats on your new tortoise. Douglas

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Douglas is right there is no one way to keep them. For my 1 year old and my 5 month old someone on here told me that they use plastic shoe boxes for their hides and if you put moss inside of it and spray it everyday or so it keeps in the humidity pretty good and I tried it and found out that they are right it does do that very thing. I did have mine in a 40 gallon aquarium also and I just covered part of it with a wet towel and that helps keep the humidity in too. You do want some airflow so don't cover too much. I just wet mine everyday and it really worked for me. Can't wait to see pictures of your new little one.

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
The caresheet Danny linked is excellent to get an overall picture of Red foot care. As far as just humidity, what kind of mulch are you using? Cypress mulch is pretty good at holding humidity. Also, as you will on the caresheet, sphagnum moss can be used to hold humidity and also Redfoots, such as mine, seem to enjoy being able to burrow around in it. With either or both of those as your substrate, you can actually pour some water into the substrate, but you do want to be careful not to make the surface too damp. Mix the water into the substrate, so that most of it is absorbed. You don't want anything like a swamp. As Candy suggests, a wet towel across the top and spraying often help also. There are automatic misters and foggers you can buy if you want to go that route also.

Hopefully these suggestions help as a "quick fix". I would recommend posting your full set up here when you can and being open to other tweaks. There are many helpful folks here that have a lot of experience with tortoise care and will be happy to help. I'm still pretty much a newbie myself. Everyone here really helped me a lot when I was getting started and things seemed overwhelming at first, but once I get set into a routine, it does get simple.

Welcome to the exciting, addicting world of Redfoots. Themistocles, my Redfoot girl, is definitely a joy.

Frank

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
almost named mine littlefoot :) but i would be more than willing to post a photo of my tank set up if people were willing to look at it. im new to forums too, so im not sure how they work, concerning the posts..

im going to try the towel setup because the fogger that i got doesnt seem to be working. it keeps my humidity at around 40% on average, and i read that it needed to be in the mid 70s which it still hasnt gotten too.

but now i am concerned about the whole perisite thing a few of you brought up. could you please explain how i can either test this or treat it in more depth please.
i really appreciate this

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I took Taco to the vet last week, where she kindly provided a fresh sample of fecal matter, which he tested (or looked at it under a microscope, I think), saw roundworm eggs, and gave me some "Panacure", which is a deworming medicine. You can force-feed it to her or just put it in her food if she is a good eater, and two weeks later you give a second dose, then a few days after that take another fecal sample into the vet and they will check to see if the parasites are gone. :D

The vet visit and medicine cost $61, plus I paid $80 for an Xray, but that's a different story. :rolleyes:

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
thank you soo much :)
really helps alot, now all left to do is find a vet lol

may i ask why you got an xray?

Status
Not open for further replies.