Red foot size?

swatsx

5 Year Member
I've read 12 inches.. All the way to 16. I'm looking for a 16 inch tort I looked at yellow foots read they can get up to 24 ish and read leopards get about the same ish... So can someone set me straight? I want a tort that's 14-18 inches I know every one is different but an average.. Thank you

abclements

5 Year Member
I don't know where you're getting your 24" from... But from my brief research on both species, the are both about 14-18/19 inches. Obviously you can get a really big on or a really small one but the average is right around there. I am biased toward redfoots, so I'll push them a little lol if you are maxed out at 18", then the red foot is the way to go... but both leopards and yellows would be good choices as well.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Just google search that's why I came here lol can't trust what is written all the time

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I understand your concern about a regular Google search...but if you use the Google Custom Search box at the top, right on every forum page, it only gives you hits from what has occurred here on the Forum, so you can trust what you get from the search.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well documented Yellow foots have been recorded up to 37". However there is much debate on those. The St.Louis zoo has some that are close to that size. But not to my knowledge has any keeper I know or have seen shown any of that size. Seen some 24-28" come in. Northern, Eastern, Western, and North Western redfoots will easily get 16-18" at a very mature age, but likely many many years into your possesion. Gran Chacos or Southern Redfoots can get 18-24". To achieve that size can still take some lengthy time too. Red foot is a great choice for your size maximums. Leopards can get some good density to their size in addition to length. Leopards are more grazers too so will require a larger environment to accommodate their naturalistic needs.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386389849.875578.jpg

20" male, documented 117 year old Yellowfoot named Crusty. He is owned by International Reptile Rescue. He's the poster child for outgoing, social, in-your-face tortoise. I snapped this pic in August this year. He's what got me hooked on the species.

Last edited by a moderator: