Red Foot Eggs

Otter

5 Year Member
Well got a great first day of summer surprise I found one of my Red Footed females laying eggs this if the first time I have ever had eggs and was not really prepared for them.

Anyway I have three nice big healthy looking eggs and have set up an incubator placed the eggs carefully on some damp paper towels and will get some vermiculite at the nursery in the morning.

I have a few questions how deep should I place the eggs in the vermiculite and how moist should it be? Also the eggs were just a bit dirty do I need to clean off the soil or just leave them the way they are.

Thank you for your suggestions,

John

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I bury mine about half way under the medium. Leave the dirt on there, it won't hurt anything and something bad could happen getting it off. Best wishes that you will have a 3 babies running around in a few months. They take 90-200 days if I remember correctly.

Otter

5 Year Member
Thank you for your suggestions will keep you posted on how things go.

dumje

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami Florida
I just had 1 hatch after 7 months...others have hatched after 4 months...I have 1 hatching now and its liter mate hatched a month ago...so as long as the egg looks good...KEEP INCUBATING!!! good luck!