Recommended products for shell Fungus/Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
My 4" Redfoot had some very minor shell rot when I first acquired him, so minor that I did a betadine treatment but didn't bother with an anti-fungal. Almost two months later, I'm seeing spots again, so I must not have completely rid the afflication.

Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap! preferably) brand of antifungal that I should use? Thanks!

View attachment 15588

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Sure thing :)

Clean the affected area with a weak betadine/water solution. (Should be a weak-tea color.) Pat the area dry with paper towels, and apply any over the counter athlete's foot cream. Keep the area clean and apply the cream daily (only do the betadine wash on the first day, it is too harsh to continue to use daily.) It should be gone within a week, two at the most.

The brand itself does not matter. Any generic product will do.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks! Should I be looking for any particular active ingredient? Thanks!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just another viewpoint- there is fungal rot, and bacterial rot. If you have bacterial rot, you may notice dark pitting or an 'off' smell. Bacterial rot is also more common in drier conditions. To combat bacterial rot, you need an antibacterial ointment like silver sulfadiazine ointment or 2% mupirocin ointment. Plain over the counter human stuff is not very strong (not even for human needs).

Also- check the habitat for why it is occuring. Too wet? Germ colonies? Abrasive materials? Correct that as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/basic-medical-care/shell-rot

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Madkins, I posted a picture of his plastron. That's the limit of the rot. Let me know what your think.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
pdrobber said:
clotrimazole!
That is quite a mouthful
I would go generic since they are usually a lot cheaper than name brands.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
that's the active ingredient you're looking for...plenty of "athlete foot's cream" and "anti fungal cream", if that's in it, it should get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.