Recent Tortoise Mom

Locon1028

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hello! I have recently had a tortoise plopped into my lap. I’ve been trying my best with identifying what type she is but want to ask other people what they think.

She came from a bad situation and I wasn’t planning on ever having a tortoise, but she was clearly not going to make it much longer in her situation so I took her on. and any tips and help anyone could provide with anything regarding her care would be most welcome. Please see attached photos for reference. Thank you so much.

Also her shell was painted when she came to me. I’ve slowly tried to get it off which still has some remnants because I didn’t want to stress her out so much at once. It’s a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_8890.jpeg
    IMG_8890.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7031.jpeg
    IMG_7031.jpeg
    756.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7819.jpeg
    IMG_7819.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7014.jpeg
    IMG_7014.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's a Redfoot tortoise.
Thank GOD its one of only a handful of species that fruit won't kill.
In fact, a diet of up to 60% fruit is recommended.
He also needs very high humidity. And it looks like he hasn't had it.
Temperature needs to be between 80 and 88. With 82-84 as the target.
He also requires outdoor sunshine or a good T5 ho linear strip florescent uvb lamp.
I'll have time to elaborate later this evening

Locon1028

Missouri
Okay that’s what I thought, or cherry head tortoise, hence the fruit lol…so that makes me feel better. She’s supposed to be around 21 years old. I’ve had her for a couple weeks. I’ve read about pyramiding and figured that could be the reason for her she’ll so I do have her in a humid environment.

Locon1028

Missouri
It's a Redfoot tortoise.
Thank GOD its one of only a handful of species that fruit won't kill.
In fact, a diet of up to 60% fruit is recommended.
He also needs very high humidity. And it looks like he hasn't had it.
Temperature needs to be between 80 and 88. With 82-84 as the target.
He also requires outdoor sunshine or a good T5 ho linear strip florescent uvb lamp.
I'll have time to elaborate later this evening
She also has free reign of my yard when the temperature permits…otherwise she’s inside when it dips. She’s in the sunroom and has lots of natural light with an additional UV bulb. So I feel like we are on the right track. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She does need a much bigger indoor enclosure. Unfortunately the size she is in is closer to a hatchling.
A portable pop up greenhouse with a tarp as the floor will work. They come 3x6,9 or 12 feet. A 12 would be best or at least the 9.
I will post a pic of the type I'm talking about.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome and thank you for taking in this needy little tortoise! Looks like she got lucky.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Hello! I have recently had a tortoise plopped into my lap. I’ve been trying my best with identifying what type she is but want to ask other people what they think.

She came from a bad situation and I wasn’t planning on ever having a tortoise, but she was clearly not going to make it much longer in her situation so I took her on. and any tips and help anyone could provide with anything regarding her care would be most welcome. Please see attached photos for reference. Thank you so much.

Also her shell was painted when she came to me. I’ve slowly tried to get it off which still has some remnants because I didn’t want to stress her out so much at once. It’s a work in progress.
So glad it has you.