Receiving a Shipped Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu

5 Year Member
I am having a Tortoise shipped to me in a few weeks and I am trying to prepare. Once she arrives what do I do? Do I put her under heating lamps right away?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would give her a warm soak right away. Get her warm and hydrated at the same time. Then I would put her in her already heated enclosure and put some food with some calcium with D3 on it in with her. Then I would keep an eye on her,but leave her alone for the rest of the day to settle in and sleep. Good Luck, Very exciting:D

Vishnu

5 Year Member
A little nervous but I think with a little knowledge she will be just fine. Thank you for the prompt reply Wellington. I think leaving her be is a grand idea. That will be the hardest part. ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It will be hard. You can spend the soaking with her and handle her a little. But then I would let her settle in and recover from the trip. Then the next day, well show her the love. This is just my opinion. Others might have something different. This is what I did when I got mine.:D

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Your tort will let you know when it's ready for attention, be patient don't push it, they are shy creatures, well some of them are, so give them time to get used to the new home and than they will get used to you, but first they need a safe zone.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Agreed that 1st thing is a warm soak, then give it a day or two to get used to the new home. Some tortoises (Hermann's, Redfoots, Greeks, Russians) are naturally more outgoing, while some are much more shy (Leopards often are), but given time, most any will become friendly.

What type/age of tortoise are you getting?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Terry Allan Hall said:
Agreed that 1st thing is a warm soak, then give it a day or two to get used to the new home. Some tortoises (Hermann's, Redfoots, Greeks, Russians) are naturally more outgoing, while some are much more shy (Leopards often are), but given time, most any will become friendly.

What type/age of tortoise are you getting?

I was going to ask the same question- What kind of tort are you getting

Vishnu

5 Year Member
It is a Russian. Not sure of the age. I think around 6.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Definitely a warm soak 1st off under a heat lamp. Afterwards put he or she in front of some food and leave it alone for a while till it bounces back.

Status
Not open for further replies.