Rare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What? Russian tortoises? No they are all over craigs list and at Petco and Petsmart stores. I think babies are hard to come buy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Marginated tortoises are somewhat rare, there are not a lot of breeders that I know of.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Hatchling Marginateds typically sell for between $125 and $175 and are usually as easy to find as Eastern & Dalmatian Hermann's, Russians and some species of Greek tortoise. Adult male Marginateds usually pop up here and there and are still affordable at between $250 and $400 each. Adult females are not something you see often and fetch high prices, usually at least $1000 and upwards of $2000 depending on size, age and overall appearance. I paid about $1,500 each for my large adult females.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
dmmj said:
Marginated tortoises are somewhat rare, there are not a lot of breeders that I know of.

Okay, what did I not see? How did you think they were talking marginated? Am I going blind now:(

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Because this thread is in the Marginated section of the forums. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah they are somewhat rare. They are super easy to care for dont get too big and are a very unique looking testudo or even tortoise species. As well as it takes quite a while to get babies to breeding size. As well as the percentage of male offspring is higher than female offspring. So it dampens the availablility of eligable breeder stock.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
HermanniChris said:
Because this thread is in the Marginated section of the forums. :)

OH, I guess I didn't pay attention to that.:(:D glad I am not going totally blind:p:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
HermanniChris said:
Hatchling Marginateds typically sell for between $125 and $175 and are usually as easy to find as Eastern & Dalmatian Hermann's, Russians and some species of Greek tortoise. Adult male Marginateds usually pop up here and there and are still affordable at between $250 and $400 each. Adult females are not something you see often and fetch high prices, usually at least $1000 and upwards of $2000 depending on size, age and overall appearance. I paid about $1,500 each for my large adult females.

Theres that too! When I had mine I paid 2500 for my pair. Granted they were huge and never bred. Wonderful torts. Id suggest them if your thinking of getting some.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
This is what I thought cause I never seen for sale, I'm looking at any Mediterranean Tortoises(expect russian).

Wellington: I do agree baby Russian are a bit hard to find.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The reason why baby russians are hard to find, is while lots of people own russians very few breed successfully.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Marginated tortoises are not rare in captivity at all. When kept under the right conditions, which are very simple ones, adult Marginateds reproduce like guppies! My largest female produced several clutches last year totaling over 45 eggs of which over 75% were fertile. Captive born babies are regularly offered for sale. Adult females on the other hand don't often come up for "public" sale. They are typically sold from one breeder to another. Because they are sought after by breeders, their price is usually very high in comparison to males and babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.