Random tax question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I was just curious if you own two homes in two different states, which state do you pay income tax in (I don't pay taxes or own a home fyi)? Is it where you are registered for mailing? Or something else?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have to pay state taxes in whatever state I did the work in. This is in addition to federal taxes. It gets very complicated. Last year I worked in Louisiana, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, and of course California. It gets really ugly when you work out of the country.

I used to think it would be fair if everyone just paid a flat tax. Say 10%. No exceptions for anybody. But that's not fair at all.

Can you imagine buying a plane ticket and them asking "how much do you make a year?" and basing the price off of that. My ticket would be $3000 and the lazy bum behind me would pay $10 for the same ride. Not fair.

We need to add up what it costs to run this country every year, hopefully eliminating at least some of the non-sense, and divide it by the number of people. Then everybody pays their fair share. Everybody pays the same amount for the same ride. You want ten kids, no problem. You pay the same amount for each one, just like on the plane ride. Estimates put this number between $3000-$5000 per person. I'd say thats a far cry better than what I'm paying now. I could pay for several families and still be saving money.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Sorry, but I really don't want this to turn into a debate about who should pay what in taxes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Sorry, but I really don't want this to turn into a debate about who should pay what in taxes.

My apologies. Just making conversation.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
No problem, just I would never get good answer to my q if everyone chimed in on that note. ^_^

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
It is by where you worked at. Not live.

If you lived on the boarder of Ky and and Tn, but you worked in Tn, you would honor Tn income tax laws.
Which Tn doesnt pay state tax, so you wouldnt file.

But if you lived in Tn and worked in Ky you would pay ky state tx, even though Tn doesnt pay state taxs..

13Fox150

5 Year Member
My situation may be "special" because I am in the Military but my home of record is Illinois and I'm currently stationed in Kansas. I do not pay Kansas or Illinois taxes:D. None in Kansas because this is not my home of record and none in Illinois because they don't make their Military pay taxes unless they still reside inside the state. Not all states do this however as many of my peers pay taxes to their home states. My wife does however pay Kansas taxes but when we bought our house off-post she became a Kansas resident.

All that being said, each state has it's own set of tax laws that may or may not differ in respect to who pays and who doesn't.

Not a tax expert by any means, just speaking from my own personal experiences. Hope this helped.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
A friend of mine lives here in NY and works in Jersey. So he has to pay for working in Jersey and living in NY. Also we have a house in Fl...where my husband lives (long story...don't ask) and a house in NY, where all the mail comes. But our main residence is NY, so we pay NY tax.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
So you could own two houses and register your mail at one and just pay taxes in that state, yet live in another, theoretically? lol

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
We still have to pay taxes on the house in Fl. but we do our taxes here in NY because this is where my husband worked all his life, and this is considered the main residence. The house in Fl. is considered a secondary house. Also I live here with my youngest son.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Guess I am buying a house in a no state tax state.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
this is from bing
Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
We have our home in Nebraska, but drive truck for a Missouri company. The company takes no state taxes out because we don't reside in MO. Our tax people all have us pay income taxes for the state of Nebraska.

This year our company also sent out warnings to folks that more states are checking your driver's licenses to see where they say you live and making you pay taxes in that state (even if your not living there).

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Confused that some people say they pay where they work, and others where they live, my understanding was its where you live (since you are paying taxes for services that u are supposed to benefit from (e.g. schools, elections, fire, police, etc)).

Status
Not open for further replies.