Random Husbandry Questions

Tommy03

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello,

I have some random questions regarding my adult Russian tortoise so would appreciate some help if that’s okay please:
  • I've bought another terracotta saucer from a garden centre, but I was wondering how I should clean if before giving it to him? As with his basking slate, I usually just rinse his current saucers with warm water each morning (& occasionally scrub with a scouring sponge), but I’m not sure if I should be doing anything further to sanitise them? I have a reptile disinfectant that I use to clean his soak bowls (which I then rinse before he uses), but didn't know if this would be safe to use on the saucer?
  • I’ve noticed his Herptivite vitamin has expired but there is still plenty left as I only give him a tiny pinch of it once weekly. Is it still okay to give him? His MinerAll is due to expire soon also. Do Calcidust & cuttlefish expire too?
  • He currently has an 8x3ft wooden enclosure which is still okay. However, I have been considering getting him a plastic enclosure. I have found a few places in the UK that do them at this size, but I was wondering whether PVC or polypropylene is better? Also, how tall should I get it – 24 or 30 inches?
  • He currently has an Arcadia ProT5 Kit 12% 54W, but I’ve seen on here that a smaller size is sufficient so if I get him a new enclosure, I’ll buy a new UV kit. Should I get the 24W/22.5″ or 39W/35″ for an 8x3ft enclosure?
  • Is this soil safe to grow his weed seeds & repot his Boston Fern, & Spider & Prayer plants in terms of being chemical free: https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en...nics-peat-free-all-purpose-compost-40-litres? What about to plant a cactus pad?
Thank you in advance :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The clay saucer, yes just rinse with hot water and scrub when needed.
The enclosure you have sounds good enough. 4x8 is recommended as a minimum, but you are close enough.
As long as the uvb is a tube florescent and not any of the coil type, don't change it.
I don't know about the substrate you linked