Quick question. (about climbing)

Caboose

5 Year Member
Why does my baby sulcata like to clime??? I came home to this today.ImageUploadedByTortForum1377028512.807894.jpg

My Sulcata Michelangelo[TURTLE]
and my RedFoot Raphael [TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Quick question.

That's what a lot like too do. If that is under a light like it looks too be, that could be dangerous should he fall, land on back and can't flip himself to get out of the heat. I would give him a hide that he can't climb

Caboose

5 Year Member
Quick question.

Ok

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: Quick question.

You still have him in that small tank with the redfoot, right? There isn't much for him/them to do in there... You can mound some extra substrate over that half log so he can walk through the log or easily walk over it.

Sent from my TFOapp

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
mine did the dame thing last night...my husband was soooo upset... he came in here to my computer and looked up this forum to make sure he was OK! It must have just happened so he was alright but the tortie AND my husband were scared! poor babies!

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I put the same log hide in Sheldon's enclosure, but cut it to fit in the corner. I used the 2 pieces I cut to help with the incline and covered it with moss. I went to the craft store and put a gate on the front so he couldn't fall off. It works great.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
My husband saw it and loved it!!!! Heavens...now I need to research Hides :0)...so fun! thx again!

Knack4things

5 Year Member
Caboose said:
Why does my baby sulcata like to clime??? I came home to this today.

I saw mine on a ledge two inches higher than him, and I still don't know how he did it. I put rocks under it to keep him from falling, now I'm worried he'll fall off the rocks. :p

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
The hide I used is the half log that you get from petsmart.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Kirin said:
The hide I used is the half log that you get from petsmart.

I bought the half log also, but he kept climbing it and tipping.... I loved the moss covering and fence posted previously!
It looked like a great idea!

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I cut the log to fit the corner. The 2 pieces that I cut off I set one on each side, with the top part of the log facing up, making the incline not as steep. Then covering all pieces with moss. This makes an easier climb to the top without tipping. The fence is hot glued on so no falling off when at the top. I hope this helps. It works fabulous for Sheldon. The logs to me are very tall to go straight from the ground to the top. Where I have placed his it is to the right and close to the basking spot, so any flipping can be deadly. If you need pictures to show how I set it up let me know. Will gladly share.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Kirin said:
I put the same log hide in Sheldon's enclosure, but cut it to fit in the corner. I used the 2 pieces I cut to help with the incline and covered it with moss. I went to the craft store and put a gate on the front so he couldn't fall off. It works great.

Very creative. How did you attach the gates?

Oops didn't read ahead... Thanks for explanation.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yep, someone jumped off their log.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382247085.119934.jpg

Log is gone. Now we have folded card board. Goofus.

Last edited by a moderator:

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I got a bendable "bridge" from Petco for $4.00...it's the sticks with the wire through it...you can find it in the rodent area of the small animals department. I just bent it so the sides go straight up and down and the top is flat...like a square shape. Kinda hard to climb vertical sides. ;) Though my tort isn't arriving until later this week, so I have yet to test it...but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I liked how inexpensive it was, and that I could customize it to fit his enclosure.

Attachments

• 1382255170644.jpg
    1382255170644.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 1382255224233.jpg
    1382255224233.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 25

edwardbo

5 Year Member
My turtles always perch high up on huge rocks I always thought they wanted a vantage point to survey their world . They use the same paths to get up ,each on their favorite perching spots just watching ,looking around. I thought this behavior was normal . They seem to be very carful and I've never seen one tip over or fall. I was going to design a new enclosure with this in mind , picture a large mound ,higher than the stone walls almost like a moat system .even my red foots sit on top of their cave to relax and believe me they have to work to get there. If I used your fence system they would hang over it. I see them plot their descent as to be sure not to stumble . I say let them learn ,they will. Put long fibered sphagnum moss under the precarious spots to break their fall .they will nest in it too I was going to post about any body dropping their torts . Do they crack like eggs ? I seen them tip over when they try to climb walls ,mostly I watch to see if they right themselves, they always do . I figure it's great exercise

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
I used a thick plastic headband...corny, I know, but it "hugs" the sides of the log, acts like a bridge fence on top and "hides" in the dirt at the edges.... I still like the popsicle bridge :0)