Questions on Golden Greek tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

IckleOwlet

5 Year Member
Well, I have been doing plenty of reading on these tortoises in an attempt to gather all the necessary knowledge beforehand. However, some sites and posts are generally confusing and I would like to get some details cleared up before I start building the tort habitat. (Actually, I got irritated with having to dig through all the repetitions)

First of all, I would like to have it noted that I will be buying my tortoise as a baby. As such, what, exactly, is the appropriate level of humidity for the enclosure? I read that Golden Greeks need low humidity as a general rule, but that baby tortoises need humidity for smooth shell growth. So, how much? Also, how much of the calcium +D3 supplement should I give the tort, and how often? Daily? Weekly? And what would be the best "dirt" for the habitat? It is going to be an indoor enclosure.

And is it really okay to feed a tortoise hibiscus leaves and flowers? I just found that a tad odd. We have one hibiscus tree growing outside my house anyway, it has purple flowers with a violet burst in the center around the stamen and five petals.

What should be the temperature gradient for the enclosure? What would be the appropriate size of an enclosure for two turtles, in the case that I should decide to buy a friend for my tort?

Also, I compiled a list of some things I will need, please tell me if any of these are incorrect or feel free to add to the list:

- A UVB output basking lamp (preferably hung from above is what I read)
- Mercury vapor bulbs
- Dandelions, English violets, clover, broad leaf plantain, Deer grass, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, parsley, rye grass, endive
- a humidity/temperature gauge
- Calcium supplement +D3
- Cuttlefish bone
- water dish big enough for the tort to soak at leisure but shallow enough so he or she will not get stuck or drown (photo development dish?)
- food dish (I think I flat piece of slate)
- two hides
- sphagnum moss for humid hide

Status
Not open for further replies.