Questions about soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
My Cornice doesnt like to soak. I put him in a bowl with an inch of water or so, and he keeps trying to get out. I dont want to stress him out if hes having issues. My question is, do I do it anyway? Or would misting him once a day be good enough? Thanks

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If he goes in the water on his own on a regular basis I'd avoid the force soaks. I don't like forced soaks yet I suspected my tort was avoiding the water, so I like to fill up the water dish in his enclosure with nice baby bath warm water and put my tort in, then let him get out when he wants. I try to do this a couple times a week to encourage the drinking. From time to time I do see him get in there on his own too. I drench the food to try and get some water in him, and do feed some stuff like canned pumpkin & squash and soaked Mazuri for a small part of the diet which helps too. I would not mist a Russian, but having a moist substrate as long as it isn't wet and is adequate temps is a good idea (although I don't do this). An inch can be too much or too little--how big of a tort? I have water up to where the plasteron and carapace meet, so that he doesn't have to hold his head up out of it, but its sufficiently deep to stick the entire head in to drink.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I use the cheap clear 12" plant pot saucers to soak mine. Oil drain pans (bonus with a spout) make great baths. It doesn't take much water to make a hatchling swim for his life or for fun. Naturally he'll want to leave. Change the water when it gets dirty and keep soaking. 30 minutes is long enough.

See my Better way to soak thread. Neat way to keep a bath clean.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I plop mine in the water dish once a week - just to remind them - and they can climb out on their own. Keep the water shallow. I wouldn't force him if it's stressing him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's an alternative point of view.

Is hydration good for your tortoise? Yes, of course. Who cares if he likes or wants it? Many captive wild animals deny themselves their basic needs in favor of other wants or needs, like security for example. This is why we often tell newbies to put a hide box on BOTH sides of the enclosure. So that the tort doesn't have to choose security over warmth. Same with the water. Actually, it never even occurred to me whether or not my torts LIKE to be soaked. They are getting soaked.

When I was a little boy, my mother would plop down veggies on my plate and tell me to eat them. She never asked if I wanted to or if I liked them. They were good for me, and I wouldn't eat them unless forced to. Was it stressful? Very much so. For both of us.

As far as stress, numerous studies done on wild, captive and zoo animals have proven that a little bit of stress once in a while is GOOD for captive animals. It stimulates them in many beneficial ways and exercises them in a way that they might otherwise not in a captive environment. How much stress and how often is a matter of debate and is determined by many factors. 10 minutes in a soaking tub, is well under the limit by any reasonable estimation.

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
I believe "stress" is way over used in our hobby. Soaks stresses, glass stresses, handling stresses. I believe stress is a human condition that happens do to our intellengence. When an animal is put into a situation instincts suggest (for lack of a better word) is dangerous it tries to get away, that does't mean stress. Do what is necessary for the well being of your "captive".:)

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
Ok thanks guys for all the great answers, I guess he gets his soaks whether he likes them or not, and i'll spray his food too.

Status
Not open for further replies.