question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveh219

5 Year Member
I have a younger baby sulcata. probably about 4 inches in shell length. i was wondering what you guys have found to be the most successful bedding?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I personally use sphagnum peat moss and cypress mulch. Either as a mix (what i have currently) or by layers. Coco bedding is another favorite of most. Clean dirt works well and so does organic garden soil.

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
^what he said. haha also if you go to a huge chain pet store like petsmart or petco, they sell coco fiber in packs of three bricks that you submerge into water for 20 minutes or so and one brick yields about a bucket of bedding. not expensive either.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ADVANceNA said:
^what he said. haha also if you go to a huge chain pet store like petsmart or petco, they sell coco fiber in packs of three bricks that you submerge into water for 20 minutes or so and one brick yields about a bucket of bedding. not expensive either.

:) If you want the coco stuff and willing to wait. I'm sure you can find it on Ebay or amazon for cheap. You just have to wait PATIENTLY

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
FernandoM said:
ADVANceNA said:

:) If you want the coco stuff and willing to wait. I'm sure you can find it on Ebay or amazon for cheap. You just have to wait PATIENTLY

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-10-pound-COIR...837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4837fbcf75
Pretty quick shipping.

Lately I've been using Cypress but I've used a soil/coir mix in the past.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have only used coco coir that comes compressed in a brick, right now I just get it from pets mart.

Daveh219

5 Year Member
Alright thanks everyone. I appreciate the info. Is it ok to buy the sphagnum peat moss and cypress mulch from a hardware store such as home depot or menards?

Daveh219

5 Year Member
alright. i was just making sure it was ok to use because its much cheaper than buying from a petstore

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
EcoEarth (coco coir) moistened every few days is the best habitat substrate ...IMHO! ;) If you can keep him outside then the lawn is even better...my smaller yearlings burrow themselves into the taller overgrowth...talk about being wedged in...in fact, here's a couple pix...

Climber
2zrn6gx.jpg

Eggroll
29bngy0.jpg

Jamie
6i7a6b.jpg

Eggroll
200qn85.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I use dirt, lol. Just plain old topsoil, for the small babies I use a layer of sphag moss on top. But I have come to prefer dirt ;)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Use Zoomed Coconut Fiber!
You Can A Big Bag Now At Petsmart On Sale For 5 Bucks,
Works Great and Keeps Moisture!

Daveh219

5 Year Member
ok. im prolly gonna just get the eco earth since i can get it pretty cheaply and ive heard it doesn't allow for bugs. What container do most of you use and where did you get it? I have a wooden tort table now that is 4x2 but i'd need something that is sealed. but i want it to be about the same size.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Daveh219 said:
ok. im prolly gonna just get the eco earth since i can get it pretty cheaply and ive heard it doesn't allow for bugs. What container do most of you use and where did you get it? I have a wooden tort table now that is 4x2 but i'd need something that is sealed. but i want it to be about the same size.

Remember to keep it moist...not soaked. If you do the latter, it is possible that you may draw bugs. Follow the directions on the bag and you can't go wrong! Just moisten it every 3 days or so!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You can line the table with a shower curtain liner from Walmart, or use a non-toxic, water proof sealer like epoxy resin and silicone the seams.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Definitely just keep it moist and not soaked, I made that mistake and just had to replace all the coco coir in my enclosure because the knats had nested in it and were getting bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.