question on iggys

Status
Not open for further replies.

twyeiohdc

5 Year Member
ok i just traded my friend a tokay for his iggy, and i was wondering what the best substrate to use is, other than newspaper and paper towel, i want something that will look natural, is outside dirt ok?what should i use? also, is spinach leaves, strawberries, romain and dandelions a good diet for him?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Iguanas are large, demanding lizards. I hope you're prepared for its needs, because they're definitely a far, FAR cry from the relative ease of a Tokay gecko.

First of all, "outside dirt" is full of contaminants, bugs, and other "ickies" that can cause issues with your iguana. Not something you want to deal with. You can try cheap top soil (no additives!!!) from the garden section of the local hardware store, a coconut coir bedding like Eco Earth, or Cypress mulch would all work.

As for diet, dandelions are good, but spinach and strawberries are a no-go and lettuces of any kind aren't really nutritious enough. Here's a good list of different food options and about how often they should be fed: http://greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm Really, that whole site is a great care reference for iguanas, and it would be a good idea for you to go through and read their care articles.

Hope this helps some. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Taylor hit this nail on the head.

I'd add that they NEED UV. Either a MVB or real sunshine. Florescents will not cut it in my opinion. And I'd add orchid bard to my list of acceptable substrates. You want something that you can keep damp for humidity.

... and be aware that the majority of them are pretty feisty. The healthier they get the feistier they get too. I used to rehab nearly dead ones all the time and most of them got pretty aggressive and/or defensive.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yup, they are very easy to handle when they have been abused and sickened, but as soon as they start to feel better or become sexually mature, watch out.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Lots of green leafy vegetables...carrots, collard greens, dandelion,bok Choy, green beans,.. also as treats... Apple ,banana , grapes...

But most important is Sunlight... Lots of sunlight..with shade because they can over heat..

As for substrate I have always used newspaper.. Since most prefer to be up off the ground on a branch...

My enclosures have always been tall with either branches or 2x4wrapped in indoor out door carpet...

Status
Not open for further replies.