Pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptileguy92

5 Year Member
Hey guys so this is Franklin. He is a year and a half old and I've had him for about a month and a half now. He seems to be pretty healthy, but I notice a little pyramiding beginning to start. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Attachments

• lunapic_126289534050860_1.jpg
    lunapic_126289534050860_1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 85

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
There is a bit of pyramiding, but I'd be more worried about the carapace being flat and not as domed as it should be.
That's caused by MBD (metabolic bone disease). You need to up the amount of calcium and vitamin D available to your tortoise. This will help your tortoise, but probably won't change the way the shell is growing.

Danny

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I assume he came to you this way. so what Danny said and better diet and care then he was getting in the previous home.

Reptileguy92

5 Year Member
Ok thanks. I have heard of MBD before and I've done research on it, but is it very harmful to tortoise's? Does this mean he has the MBD that will shorten his life extensivley?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
According to Wikipedia:

Metabolic bone disease is an umbrella term referring to abnormalities of bones caused by a broad spectrum of disorders.

Most commonly these disorders are caused by abnormalities of minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium or vitamin D leading to dramatic clinical disorders that are commonly reversible once the underlying defect has been treated.

So it sounds to me like if you correct the calcium deficiency the bones will improve. However, the carapace more than likely will not develop the high dome shape it is supposed to.

And I should have added that the pyramiding might have been due to lack of humidity in the habitat. So, two problems. MBD and lack of humidity.

chandlerledray

5 Year Member
I have a sully named franklin too who looks exactly like that :]

There is a little pyramiding, but as everyone said, watch out for MBD. Give him calcium, (calcium powder, cuttle bone, UV) and vitamin D can help.

M

Maggie Cummings

If that were my tortoise I would get some Calcionate from the Vet. It's liquid calcium and that would help him. Also you need to get him on some good substrate like cypress mulch and create an ambient humidity for him. There's 4 things needed to prevent pyramiding...humidity needs about 80%, lots of exercise, strong UVB and good food. You might be able to stop the MBD and the pyramiding. As the tortoise grows if you have your husbandry in line the new growth will be fine and over time the pyramiding won't look so bad, and hopefully you will have stopped the MBD...But it needs to start with a visit to the Vet...

Reptileguy92

5 Year Member
Ok thank you very much. Currently I'm feeding him spring mix and I add in dandelions and escarole. I also add in some orchard grass. I use Rep-Cal phosphorus free calcium with vitamin D3 about 3 times per week. Additionally I use a multi-vitamin supplement twice a week. Should I dust his food with calcium more frequently and is this diet suitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.