protein

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbs

5 Year Member
Is there a protein supplement i can give my sulcata? or can i only get it from mazuri tortoise food?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Your Sulcata does not need a protein supplement. He will get the right nutrition from a diet of leafy greens, weeds and grasses. I personally do not feed Mazuri to grazing tortoises, and only occasionally to my forest tortoises and box turtles, because of the fact that there is quite a bit of protein in Mazuri and I do not feel it is a good thing to feed Sulcatas and Russians.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
right the sulc if fed a diet of greens and wees should get all of it's protein from it's diet, their protein requirements are not as high as a redfoots, or boxies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
abbs said:
Is there a protein supplement i can give my sulcata? or can i only get it from mazuri tortoise food?

I am curious- why do you ask?

The most common reason to push protein is to force growth and speed up sexual maturity. If this is your goal, you should be aware that it can also damage internal organs, cause skeletal and shell problems, and shorten the tortoise's lifespan.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
When I knew I was going to be caring for Mortimer[Sulcata], I did try to do "enough" research into his care. I knew how he had been kept because he was a "rescue" from my son and his roommates from college. Morty was kept dry,with occassional soaks, had a water dish, hide, and uvb in a glass aquarium. The guys had him from Oct. to May[we think he was about a 2/3 month hatchling] and all he was fed, each day, was a "guy" handful of spring mix, which wasn't always totally consumed daily. When I got him, he weighed 6.5oz,about 4" scl,was medium-ish pyramided, and upon Vet examination, was slightly "soft". His housing was changed immediatly[but still dry], given "liquid calcium" baths 1x/day for 10 minute duration for 14 days and his diet was changed to include more variety. I found this chart and it was most helpful in adding other varieties of leafy greens. http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/nutrient.htm
. At no time, under my care or my son's, did Mortimer ever get "animal protein". I did use this chart to add the greens that would provide the requirements that were best suited for Mortimer. I did try to use the red highlighted greens when they were available. My intent on giving this "referrence" is "excessive" protein found in Leafy Greens can be as unhealthy as poor care and husbandry.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Annieski said:
When I knew I was going to be caring for Mortimer[Sulcata], I did try to do "enough" research into his care. I knew how he had been kept because he was a "rescue" from my son and his roommates from college. Morty was kept dry,with occassional soaks, had a water dish, hide, and uvb in a glass aquarium. The guys had him from Oct. to May[we think he was about a 2/3 month hatchling] and all he was fed, each day, was a "guy" handful of spring mix, which wasn't always totally consumed daily. When I got him, he weighed 6.5oz,about 4" scl,was medium-ish pyramided, and upon Vet examination, was slightly "soft". His housing was changed immediatly[but still dry], given "liquid calcium" baths 1x/day for 10 minute duration for 14 days and his diet was changed to include more variety. I found this chart and it was most helpful in adding other varieties of leafy greens. http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/nutrient.htm
. At no time, under my care or my son's, did Mortimer ever get "animal protein". I did use this chart to add the greens that would provide the requirements that were best suited for Mortimer. I did try to use the red highlighted greens when they were available. My intent on giving this "referrence" is "excessive" protein found in Leafy Greens can be as unhealthy as poor care and husbandry.

Also, found in different reading, the protein content changes for "new, fresh growth" --- "older, more mature growth"--- and "dried plants" as in hays and grasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.