Prorep Mediterranean substrate

gusthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hi guys

I was advised of the above substrate for my lil man and although expensive paid out for it. It appears like a mixture of top soil and sand and set it in my tortoise table for my little Hermann.

He appended to love it running around and digging his feet in.

However I am finding that it is sticking to him a lot. He goes in his water bowl and then ends up covered in it.

Should I be worried about this?

I have damped it down so his home is humid as it appears they like but I think this might be a bit uncomfortable for him if it's sticking to him?

Am I worrying over nothing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

For others reading this thread, here's a product description:

"Product Description
ProRep tortoise life is part of the species-specific life series of substrates and has been created to meet the needs of tortoises originating from arid habitats, particularly Mediterranean and Russian tortoises. Tortoise life is a 50:50 mixture of high quality top soil and play sand with a little limestone grit added to provide some calcium if the substrate is eaten. This mixture simulates the texture and moisture retention characteristics of the soils found in their natural habitats much more closely than other substrates. It is also suitable for many species of lizards that originate from arid habitats. "

Since this is a mixture of top soil and sand, I would think that you could do better and cheaper buying it on your own instead of as a "product."

Personally, I don't like to use any sand at all. I like fir bark (distributed as 'orchid bark') or cypress mulch. These don't tend to stick to the tortoise.

I would think that this product would be ok to use if you are determined to give it a try. It isn't harmful as long as you make sure your tortoise is hydrated. Soak him every day in a container he can't climb out of, for about 15 minutes each time.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
the above advice is good. most people don't use any sand because if consumed it has been known to cause impaction.

the substrate sticking to him will not bother him unless you see it in his eyes constantly. the only substrate that won't stick is mulch but it's hard and your tort likes to bury himself in nice dirt.

if i were you, I'd either take out some of the substrate you bought and mix in more top soil or just add a bunch of soil to kinda dilute the sand. a big bag of top soil at walmart is 4$. after the dirt gets packed down a bit it won't stick so much.