Proper enclosure size

sabnic

5 Year Member
My sully is roughly 5 lbs, and no longer then a foot. I'm looking into making him an outdoor year round enclosure. What would be a good length by width ? I'm hoping to only have to make one for the rest of his lifespan..so keep that in mind. Thank you in advance!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
BIG :D

The bigger the better.....I would plan to use the largest space possible within the area you have to work with....if you set the permanent perimeter then you can do a temp interior perimeter that can be removed as he grows and can navigate the largest space....?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you have an acre available, that would be good. The bigger the better. My adult enclosure is 7000 square feet, but sometimes I let them run around on 3 or 5 acres. They use and explore ALL of it.

On the other hand, your tortoise is not going to drop dead if you put it in an 8x8' enclosure. I think this is too small, but your tortoise could survive in there.

There can be no set answer for this. Personally, I like seeing them wander over great distances with hills, bushes, grass and weed patches, trees, water features, sight barriers and obstacles. One "leg" of my enclosure runs 214 feet in a straight line and it is really cool watching them walk all that distance. More area also means more space to grow good grazing foods. A technique that Yvonne first suggested to me was to make a very large enclosure and divide it into two or three "parcels". You can then allow your tortoise access to one or two parcels at a time and let the other "recover" from the tortoise's heavy grazing.

There is no single "right" answer here, but everyone is going to recommend you go big. REAL big.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
If I had an acre I would have more than one sulcata. The one I have gets use of roughly 3000 square feet. He uses all of it. He has favorite sunning spots and shady spots that change with the seasons and weather. It is well planted with grasses and weeds for grazing with bushes and hedges for exploring, hiding, and shade. I also have a 300 square foot secure pen for times I need to restrict where he roams.

He lives outside full time and sleeps in an insulated, heated house that is 4' wide, 6' long, and 2' high. I think this size is big enough to house an adult sulcata where I live (Southern California). The design for this house can be found here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

If I lived in a colder climate where my sulcata could not get out and appreciate his 3000 square foot domain I would likely build at least a 8' x 12' shed to house him through the winter months. Bigger would be better.