Problem or normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

un-loco

5 Year Member
I have a yearling redfoot for about a week or 2, His habitat is about a 4x2 1/2 rubbermaid tub while i gather supplies to make a 6x3 indoor condo.

his hot (hide side) is about 85-90, cool side is about 80ish

He seems to never EVER leave the hide. We used to pull him out to feed him but when i noticed he never did anything, i figured he needed some time to have a "need" to explore his tub.

When i feed it takes about 30 or so minutes for him to coax himself out of his hide, then he eats and runs back to the hide for another 23 hr 45 minute slumber.

I have also never once noticed him visit his water bowl, we used to let him walk around and he would do his duece, now hes been holed up in his hide for 3 days with just breaks for eating. so no tellin whats happening to those number 2's now.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Sounds pretty typical to me. Yearlings are programmed to be shy and spend most of the day hiding.

You may want to cool the hot end off a bit though. How bright is it in there? Remember- they are a ground/grassland species that does not get a lot of direct sun at that size... although they do get some.

un-loco

5 Year Member
I only have a CHE on the hide side. 86 inside the hide. (i bought a heater for that room and a humidifier so i am still working on a good setting for him)

i have a fishtank light on the cool/water bowl side just for light.

un-loco

5 Year Member
Shoot I also meant to ask... Should I handle him or allow him privacy at this age since he wants to be shy?
I dont mean just leave him to rot, but just mean minimise my interruptions until he is more active, or start getting him used to being handled on a daily basis.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
My Red Foots all seemed a bit shy at first until they associated me with food. I would think he or she will settle in time. You could always soak him or her in warm water to be sure he is hydrated.They often poop too in water so you can see how often they do this.
I soak all of mine even though they drink regularly-they seem to enjoy it and helps keep their enclosure clean and keeps their shells nice too.

I am sure your little one will venture out soon.

un-loco

5 Year Member
I try to keep the humidity above 60+ but it can fluctuate pretty quickly as the top i use lets a lot out. life will be easier when i get that wood and time for his compound.

I have heard people talk about playing with their feet, and it doesn't bother him when i am handling him. If he thinks he is alone and i touch his feet he tweeks out a little lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Un-Loco:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

un-loco

5 Year Member
Yea! My name is Tim, I am in Ft Bliss. El Paso, Texas... A great place for a jungley kind of tortoise... =)

Humidity outside the other day was 19% by my personal digital weather thingy. My skin almost shattered.

unfortunately for our little tort in the tub, the first two care-sheets i read about redfoots were completely wrong. so by the time he got to me, i had to take about 200.00 worth of crud back and get back to square one. I am possibly wondering if it will at all work when I want to move him outside when he is older (hopefully i wont be here in about 18-24 months) the dryness here is unreal. Unless i run a mist hose or whatever in his hide.

I think I overdid your questions.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Hi there and welcome to the forum. You know what my RF is the same. He is about 1 year and a half already and I have to pull him out of the substrate and bathe him... Every night! I basicallg have a tortoise that behaves like a pacMan frog.

Well Im glad to hear Im not the only one. From what I read on here and from others, they should open up more when they get older. Your temps may be a bit high as another member mentioned. Mine loves to hang out between 81-84.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
My Darwin is about 4ish months old, and he spends a lot of time hiding as well. Just give it time... they are just babies after all!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
babies tend to view things bigger than them as a potential predator,it is nothing personal against you, once they feel safe and come to realize that you give out the food they warm up, red foots are really good at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.