Probably Paranoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Right, I've been weighing things up today, and this evening...

As most people know, I've had Emrys for nine days now. For the first week, he seemed happy, confident, lively. We've been bonding well.

Yesterday, he became lethargic. Of course, I started stressing and panicking a little, but I gave him his soak and he seemed to liven up a little, then became lethargic as the day wore on. I gave him a health check using my limited experience, found no obvious signs of any problems, and convinced myself I was being silly.

Today, he's been the same all day in his enclosure. He's not settling in any specific spot, so I can't attribute this to temperature (I've checked them rigourously, and they're all fine), his humidity is the same, too.

Today, he's been slow and sleepy, barely moving for most of the day. I gave him a morning soak, and he livened up in the bathtub and seemed to enjoy himself, and was active for half an hour or so before he became lethargic again.

Later today, I took him outside. He was lively then, exploring the garden and walking plenty, and I gave him a second soak when he came in, which again he seemed to love. Then, back to the enclosure where the lethargy started again.

So, it's essentially been going on for two days, and I've convinced myself I'm being a stressed-out new mum, and now I'm convincing myself I'm right to be panicking.

Observations are that he's eating fine, with his usual very healthy appetite. Today, he's had spring mix and garden weeds. He's got plenty of strength in his arms and legs when he's outside, but he's dragging himself slowly in his enclosure. No signs of problems around the nose or eyes, shell solid and healthy looking, excretions all look healthy, no signs of respiratory problems.

I guess what I'm asking from you all is a little reassurance, or guidance towards other things I might want to try/look out for. I did increase the temps in his enclosure today for a while, to see if he needed them adjusting up to help, but no change. If he's the same tomorrow, given that I know he does have the strength in him and I have no other symptoms to show, should I take him to a vet? Or, is this a delayed reaction to his change of environment? Am I missing anything obvious? I've not changed anything since I got him - he's been on a good routine and it was working very well for him, as far as I know.

I want to believe I'm being overly paranoid, and I've been telling myself that for 24 hours, but now the worry and guilt are eating at me, and they will be in the office tomorrow as well...

Edit: Additional information is that he was walking slow but strong yesterday, and it's only today he's started dragging himself. Yesterday, his back leg strength looked better than ever and I was telling myself how great he was doing with it!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
You know what i think...on facebook!?
Is he weasing?
Hope he gets well soon....and...
BUMP!

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I don't think it is any thing serious. He is eating fine, he was probably drinking when you soaked him, and he was moving around a lot when he was outside. The only thing I think it could be is the heat and substrate because those are the only differences from inside his enclosure and outside.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
ewam said:
I don't think it is any thing serious. He is eating fine, he was probably drinking when you soaked him, and he was moving around a lot when he was outside. The only thing I think it could be is the heat and substrate because those are the only differences from inside his enclosure and outside.

That was my thought, but obviously those haven't changed.

I'm aware I'm probably too paranoid which is why I've just been monitoring this weekend, and why I'm asking for tips now. I don't want to go rushing to the vets like a maniac and looking ridiculous, but at the same time I don't want to leave it until there are other symptoms if there is something wrong, and risk it being too late.

And nope, Tyler, no wheezing. No problems with breathing at all, as far as I see.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Is he warm enough, that is my first thought! What kind of bulbs do you have for him? Natural sunshine works magic, can you get him out in the sunlight more?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Torty Mom said:
Is he warm enough, that is my first thought! What kind of bulbs do you have for him? Natural sunshine works magic, can you get him out in the sunlight more?

Temperatures are all the same as they have been, and fine, and I did increase them today to see if perhaps he was trying to settle for hibernation (which I won't be doing), but that didn't seem to work.

He has an MVB bulb, and unfortunately our weather's already gone towards winter, so outdoor time won't be in abundance. This weekend seems to have been a freak heatwave so he's had outdoor time, and apparently it's set to continue into the week, but I imagine that will be it for the year.

I really would be blaming the temperatures if they'd changed or gone too low, it's all I can think of, but it's not that, I'm sure. When he lies down, he's going under the bulb sometimes, on his food slate sometimes, into corners or into his hide. No specific location.

I just don't want to take any risks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is similar to what we hear when there a lighting problem. Baby is fine for a couple weeks then turns lethargic. What kind of light? how close to the substrate is it?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That light is fine. For a little while, a couple weeks or so, why don't you try adding a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb. Turn on the incandescent from early morning until 11a, then turn it off and turn on your Arcadia bulb. Leave it on for 3 hours, then turn it off and turn the incandescent back on. Having it on all day might be bothering him a bit. Does he have nice hiding places...places to get out of the light?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
emysemys said:
That light is fine. For a little while, a couple weeks or so, why don't you try adding a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb. Turn on the incandescent from early morning until 11a, then turn it off and turn on your Arcadia bulb. Leave it on for 3 hours, then turn it off and turn the incandescent back on. Having it on all day might be bothering him a bit. Does he have nice hiding places...places to get out of the light?

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely spend some time experimenting. I just wanted to be sure he wasn't in any immediate danger.

Yep, he has plenty of space to hide from the light. This is his table, essentially in current form:

Table4.jpg

To the left, there's a large hide box filled with soil and moss that he's been going to sleep in most nights, though a couple of the more recent nights (tonight included), he's just gone into an open corner and slept, rather than hiding himself away.

Status
Not open for further replies.