Preparing my first Enclosure

mperrier100

5 Year Member
I bought a 2' x 4' enclosure a few months ago, just before I decided to look to move. I decided to wait until I was in the new place to get my new tort buddy.

Now I'm getting ready to move and am planning out what to get to set up my enclosure properly for a Greek tort. This will be my first tort and enclosure ever :)

I was wondering what would be best to use as substrate. I was thinking of buying coco coir repi-bark, but am not sure and what I should mix it with. Also, how much should I use (how deep should the substrate be for a Greek tort)?

:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There are lots of other choices, but my favorite substrate is orchid bark. I buy it at Orchard Supply Hardware, and I buy the small sized pieces, not medium or large. I keep substrates about 4" deep for hatchlings. I don't keep any larger tortoises indoors, so don't know about substrate for other than hatchlings and box turtles.

mperrier100

5 Year Member
Thanks. I'd never heard of Orchid Bark before. I'm thinking of mixing Eco Earth soil and Repti-bark Coco Coir (ground). I'm planning now and will buy everything when my enclosure is moved. :)

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Yvonne G said:
There are lots of other choices, but my favorite substrate is orchid bark. I buy it at Orchard Supply Hardware, and I buy the small sized pieces, not medium or large. I keep substrates about 4" deep for hatchlings. I don't keep any larger tortoises indoors, so don't know about substrate for other than hatchlings and box turtles.

Do you breed and sell Aldabras Yvonne?