Practical Enclosure Question

JEllis

Location (City and/or State)
CA
So, I could use a little enclosure help. I searched through the forum, but apologize if I missed something! I have read all the pinned guides which are incredibly helpful, but most come down to a recommendation of "provide as much space as possible" or focus on adult tortoises. We have a plan for when our tortoise is an adult (converted bookcase tortoise table with a large, covered outdoor space for sunny days), but I have read that Bos shouldn't be moved into that until 4 inches in carapace length (based on current growth, I am thinking roughly another year and a half). I volunteer with a reptile program (but this is my first tortoise) and have access to LOTS of tanks, so am trying to work with something we have available since its temporary.

For reference: we have a 7 month old Russian. About 75 grams in weight, 2 3/4 inches carapace length. We have had her about 1 month now. Bos was previously in a small enclosure, she (guessing gender) was given to us in a 20 gal long (30x12), which worked great for a few weeks as she was acclimating (hiding a lot and coming out to tentatively explore), but as she is coming out of her shell (pun intended), its clear she needs more exploration room. We have been able to regulate temps well (95-100 basking spot, 75 cool side, and generally 80 using a ceramic heating element at night for her humid hide) and she is eating, basking, pooping, and interacting really well. She is a firecracker and I want to make sure she has good exercise space while still meeting her humidity needs. I am eyeing a tank at the facility that is 48x18. It looks like this (might actually be this tank honestly): https://carolinadesignerdragons.com...ra-long-model-size-48lx18wx18h-easy-assembly/

I am thinking I can put all lights internal and create a closed chamber with plexiglass on the top for the year and a half until she is ready for her big girl tortoise table - thoughts? Also interested if people have moved their tortoises into tables earlier than 4 inches, I would be happy to transition her earlier just trying to do the right thing.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I don’t have any experience with Russians but there are plenty here who do...someone will come along with some good info soon!
Welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because the russian tortoise is hard wired to wander over great distances looking for food, they're very unsettled when they have to live in a small enclosure. So we've been recommending 4'x8' for an indoor enclosure. That's a pretty darned big box to try to find room for in your house. That's why it's really better to set a Russian tortoise up outside where you have more room to be creative. But when they have to live indoors, outdoor space isn't available, then go as big as you possible have room for. If the tortoise is always climbing the walls, digging in the corners, etc. you'll know it's not a big enough space.