Post Move enclosure for sully with action shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Say hello to Figgy...

photo (2).jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo.jpg
photo5.JPG

After moving in September and having a temporary setup for my sully I have finally finished the enclosure (are they ever really finished? ;) ). I figured since I have yet to post pics of the tort OR its enclosure I'd hit both in one post.

The deck box was left behind by the previous owners of the home (score!) which was good since I could not fit the old one in with all the stuff for the move to south florida.

The enclosure is 18 x 8 ft not including the raised wooden section that connects to the deck box.

photo8.JPG
photo7.JPG

Inside the deck box I currently have a ceramic heat emitter. However, I have noticed that during the day (even today when it was 66 outside) when the sun is out that the temp inside the deck box hovers around 100-110 with the emitter OFF. For that reason I have the timer set for the night time only.

Currently in the enclosure there is a plethora of crab grass. And the Figgy's favorite food...Hibiscus! He loves the leaves and is obsessed with the flowers (as you can see in the pics). I do feed him hay often and I have a desert tortoise grass seed mix that I plant but he has currently mowed the last patch down to the dirt so he will have to wait for it to regrow. there is also a cactus that at the time of planting, I verified that it was ok for him to eat. I also have prickly pear cactus seeds that I plan on planting when the temps get a bit warmer here in south florida.

I also plan on putting a small waterfall in the corner with a very shallow splash area for him to drink and soak himself in as well.

Enjoy the pics and any comments/suggestions are welcomed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Wow!! Really nice enclosure! And a great looking tort.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Looks great, nice and big. I like the third picture were it looks like he is walking towards the camera.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Run your CHE in the deck box with a thermostat. You can do a timer and a thermostat, but I usually just use the thermostat. Hopefully that warm, sunny, humid weather will help with that pyramiding.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Run your CHE in the deck box with a thermostat. You can do a timer and a thermostat, but I usually just use the thermostat. Hopefully that warm, sunny, humid weather will help with that pyramiding.

I currently have the CHE on a timer, as of now the temps have been stable/predictable enough for the timer to suffice. I'm hoping the same about the pyramiding. He was in rough shape when I received him. sever URI, moderate pyramiding and completely impacted digestive track (he was clearly being kept on the plastic easter basket stuffing. I'm hoping between the regular soaks, the humid underground hide I have built, and the humid weather that the pyramiding will smooth out a bit as he grows. I'll be sure to keep photos and time lapse them when he grows a good bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.